More than 100 workers at a Kandal province footwear factory fainted on Monday, according to a report on the National Police website.
Those who fainted at Grand East Footwear International Corp in Kandal’s Ang Snuol district – which employs about 1,350 people – were sent to a district hospital and private clinics, according to police.
“They were immediately sent for treatment at the district and private hospitals,” the police report reads.
Police said that the incident at Grand East Footwear was caused by chemical fumes. However, a National Social Security Fund (NSSF) report says the faintings were the result of shock from seeing a co-worker keel over.
“This case occurred when a seven-months pregnant woman, who was dizzy and in weak health, fainted,” the NSSF report reads. “When she fell down on the floor, it shocked the other workers, and people fainted repeatedly.”
Management at Grand East Footwear could not be reached for comment yesterday.
Ministry of Labour figures, which were released earlier this month, note that 1,806 people fainted at work in 2014; a 109 per cent increase from the previous year.