Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Access-to-information draft law ‘on schedule’

Access-to-information draft law ‘on schedule’

The Ministry of Information and a handful of outside organisations released the first two chapters of the long-awaited access-to-information draft law at its second working group meeting yesterday.

During a two-hour meeting held at the ministry, technical working group members consisting of ministry officials, UNESCO and civil society groups, discussed chapters one and two of the proposed law, which has been in the works since 2007.

The preliminary chapters outline the law’s main objectives, though some of the wording is expected to change before the next meeting.

“We wanted the wording of the objective to be changed,” Advocacy Policy Institute director Neb Sinthay said. “Instead of having ‘public institutions providing information to citizens’ as the primary goal, we want ‘citizens having access to information’ as the priority of this law.”

The draft of chapter three, which will contain the procedure for filing information requests, will be sent out before March 8, said MoI spokesman Ouk Kim Seng. He added that, so far, the law is slated to have eight chapters and 25 articles.

“Everything is on schedule,” said UNESCO spokeswoman and access to info focal point Jamie Lee. “We talked about how we could make our process more effective and what will happen throughout the year.”

The next working group meeting is on April 8.

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Bodies of Cambodian peacekeepers returned to Kingdom

The bodies of four Cambodian peacekeepers killed by a Christian militia in Central African Republic were repatriated to the Kingdom and honoured in an airport ceremony on May 21.

Phnom Penh eats: Ptas Nak Battambang

As the name suggests, Ptsa Nak Battambang – which in English means Battambang's house – is the right place for those who want to try some of the province's typical dishes in Phnom Penh.

Military police stand guard outside a polling station that was allegedly prematurely closed to eligible voters during the 2013 general election in Kandal province. Photo supplied

The Ministry of Defence on Friday lashed out at civil society and election monitoring groups, claiming a

Opposition leader Kem Sokha uses his hat to gesture to supporters during a campaign rally yesterday in Siem Reap province. Facebook

Prime Minister Hun Sen yesterday threatened to unleash war on the opposition party if he loses patience with their campaign for the June 4 commune