Subscribe Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Beeline to launch 4G network by year’s end

Beeline to launch 4G network by year’s end

Beeline to launch 4G network by year’s end

Mobile network operator Beeline announced on Monday that it will launch a 4G service by the end of the year.

Hout Vanthan, the chairman of parent company Sotelco, said the 4G network will be available in Phnom Penh by the fourth quarter of 2014.

Vanthan, who is also the chairman and chief executive of the Cambodian First Investment Specialized Bank, purchased Beeline in April last year from Dutch firm, VimpelCom.

“We all know that the mobile network industry market is very narrowed now,” he said, adding that the company is taking its time to launch the most reliable network possible, which in turn aims to increase Beeline’s market share.

In January, Smart Mobile, launched its 4G network in selected locations around Phnom Penh including NagaWorld, Sovanna Shopping Centre, Ratana Plaza Shopping Mall, De Castle Tuol Kork and Phnom Penh’s airport.

Thomas Hundt, CEO of Smart Mobile, said he is sceptical about the Beeline chairman’s fourth-quarter timeline.

“The deployment of 4G services is a complex and lengthy project,” he said.


  • Australians protest Asean summit visit by PM Hun Sen

    Hundreds of protesters gathered in Sydney’s Hyde Park on Friday to protest against Cambodian strongman Hun Sen, who claimed to have been gifted millions of dollars by the Australian government ahead of a special Asean summit this weekend. An estimated 300 protesters, the majority of

  • American ‘fugitive’ arrested in Cambodia outside of US Embassy

    An American citizen was arrested on request by the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Tuesday, according to Cambodian police. Major General Uk Hei Sela, chief of investigations at the Department of Immigration, identified the man as American Jan Sterling Hagen, and said he was

  • One Australian, one Cambodian killed in explosion at military base

    Updated: 5:20pm, Friday 16 March 2018 An Australian tourist and a Cambodian soldier were killed in an explosion on Thursday afternoon at an army base in Cambodia’s Kampong Speu province. The Australian, whom the government initially identified as a technical demining expert in his 40s, and

  • Peeling back layers of prehistory in Battambang

    When the man passed away, he had not yet reached 50. He belonged to a tribe that had settled near the Sangker River in Battambang province, likely cultivating the fields and raising animals. On the side, they hunted for boars, and even turtles, one of which