Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Cambodia's leading resorts see arrivals fall in first nine months

Cambodia's leading resorts see arrivals fall in first nine months

Cambodia's leading resorts see arrivals fall in first nine months

Data up to the end of September show an 8 percent slide in visitors to Siem Reap and more than 12 percent slide in travellers to Sihanoukville

FOREIGN visitors to Cambodia’s two key tourist centres fell over the first nine months of the year on an annualised basis, with an increase in arrivals from Vietnam failing to offset a fall from key East Asian markets.

The number of foreigners visiting Siem Reap was down 8 percent over the period compared to a year earlier to just over 700,000, figures from the Siem Reap provincial tourism department show. Visitors to the southern resort town of Sihanoukville fell 12.43 percent to 94,102, according to provincial data.

I hope it will be better again during the last quarter ... it is the holiday period.

Chheuy Chhorn, administrative director of Siem Reap’s tourism department, blamed a combination of bad weather, the global economic crisis and concerns over swine flu for the downturn, but said the province appeared to be turning the corner with arrivals up 2 percent in the third quarter compared to the three months prior.
“I hope it will be better again during the last quarter because it is the holiday period for foreigners,” he said.

A sharp increase in Vietnamese tourists had offset some of the losses from South Korea, Japan and China, he said. Nearly 200,000 Vietnamese visited the home of Angkor Wat over the first nine months of the year, he added.

The data were based on stated destinations at border checkpoints and hotel check-in data, he said, adding that Vietnamese visitors tended to come overland by bus from the Bavet-Moc Bai border crossing in Svay Rieng province.

Seng Mony, administrative director at the Sihanoukville Tourism Department, said the first nine months of the year had been hard for the resort town, but that local visitors had not fallen as sharply as foreign arrivals. Local visitors were down just 2 percent to 311,616, based on hotel booking information.

The slight decline was due largely to bad weather over the past few months, with local arrivals holding firm in the first two quarters of the year. Typhoon Ketsana had dented arrivals this month, he added.

National tourism statistics released this month show the number of foreign visitors to Cambodia was up 1.37 percent to 1.422 million over the first eight months of the year.

However, air arrivals were down 15.21 percent at Siem Reap International Airport as the number of visitors from South Korea, Japan and China plummeted. Land arrivals were up 20.54 percent, boosted by a 43.66 percent increase in visitors from Vietnam.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Rainsy and Sokha ‘would already be dead’: PM

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday appeared to suggest he would have assassinated opposition leaders Sam Rainsy and Kem Sokha had he known they were promising to “organise a new government” in the aftermath of the disputed 2013 national elections. In a clip from his speech

  • Massive ceremony at Angkor Wat will show ‘Cambodia not in anarchy’: PM

    Government officials, thousands of monks and Prime Minister Hun Sen himself will hold a massive prayer ceremony at Angkor Wat in early December to highlight the Kingdom’s continuing “peace, independence and political stability”, a spectacle observers said was designed to disguise the deterioration of

  • PM tells workers CNRP is to blame for any sanctions

    In a speech to workers yesterday, Prime Minister Hun Sen pinned the blame for any damage inflicted on Cambodia’s garment industry by potential economic sanctions squarely on the opposition party. “You must remember clearly that if the purchase orders are reduced, it is all

  • Ex-RFA journos accuse outlet

    Two former Radio Free Asia journalists held a press conference yesterday claiming they are each owed $28,000 by the US-funded radio broadcaster, which shuttered its in-country operations in September amid a government crackdown on independent media. The journalists, Sok Ratha and Ouk Savborey, maintained they organised