Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Govt nixes report of rent hike at dump site

Govt nixes report of rent hike at dump site

Govt nixes report of rent hike at dump site

THE company that runs Phnom Penh's rubbish-collection service said it is negotiating a planned hike in the city's dump site rental cost of up to 800 percent.

However, the city's deputy governor denied any such increase was in the cards.

Seng Chamrouen, the deputy director of refuse-removal firm Cintri, told the Post at the end of last week that the municipality wants to raise the monthly rental from US$10,000 to between $40,000 and $80,000.

"We don't yet know what the final price will be since it is under discussion," Seng Chamrouen said.

Cintri's 50-year contract to operate Phnom Penh's refuse-collection has been running for seven years.

Seng Chamrouen said deputy governor Trac Thai Sieng had told Cintri at a meeting last Monday that the city wants to renegotiate up to 90 percent of its contract, the company said.

Authorities refuse to reply
However, Trac Thai Sieng told the Post on Thursday there were no plans to raise charges for the dump sites and said he was unable to answer further questions.

"I can't answer because I don't know anything about this story," he said, directing further questions to City Hall spokesman Nuon Sameth.

Nuon Sameth refused to comment, saying that he was busy with preparations for the July 7 event marking the listing of Preah Vihear as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Rainsy and Sokha ‘would already be dead’: PM

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday appeared to suggest he would have assassinated opposition leaders Sam Rainsy and Kem Sokha had he known they were promising to “organise a new government” in the aftermath of the disputed 2013 national elections. In a clip from his speech

  • Massive ceremony at Angkor Wat will show ‘Cambodia not in anarchy’: PM

    Government officials, thousands of monks and Prime Minister Hun Sen himself will hold a massive prayer ceremony at Angkor Wat in early December to highlight the Kingdom’s continuing “peace, independence and political stability”, a spectacle observers said was designed to disguise the deterioration of

  • PM tells workers CNRP is to blame for any sanctions

    In a speech to workers yesterday, Prime Minister Hun Sen pinned the blame for any damage inflicted on Cambodia’s garment industry by potential economic sanctions squarely on the opposition party. “You must remember clearly that if the purchase orders are reduced, it is all

  • Ex-RFA journos accuse outlet

    Two former Radio Free Asia journalists held a press conference yesterday claiming they are each owed $28,000 by the US-funded radio broadcaster, which shuttered its in-country operations in September amid a government crackdown on independent media. The journalists, Sok Ratha and Ouk Savborey, maintained they organised