Subscribe Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Govt OKs $12m project to redo Kandal Market

Govt OKs $12m project to redo Kandal Market

Govt OKs $12m project to redo Kandal Market

A vendor sells fruit and vegetables Sunday at Kandal Market. Stall owners will be required to relocate for three years during construction of the new market complex by PPMD & Rootiz.

Vendors to be relocated for three years during first phase
of construction, says joint-venture developer PPMD & Rootiz

We don't want to keep vendors out of business for too long.

KANDAL market is the focus of a US$12 million redevelopment that has been approved in principle in a joint venture between a South Korean company and local firm PPMD, the project's director said Sunday.

Chan Sophal of the joint venture PPMD & Rootiz told the Post that the project has been approved by Prime Minister Hun Sen and Deputy Prime Minister Sar Kheng on condition that the firm and the vendors reach agreement.

"We already have some capital for the investment, and we are negotiating with the market vendors," Chan Sophal said. "This is a key stage, and once agreement is reached, we can get the project under way."

Kandal Market has two sections: a wooden market, which is the focus of the development, and a single-storey concrete structure to which this project does not apply at this stage.

Chan Sophal said 90 percent of the vendors in the wooden market are keen on the project, and the firm is working to get the remaining 10 percent on board. He said the new eight-storey building would retain the public market on the ground floor, and vendors would keep the position and space that they now hold.

"We are not going to build it in the style of a modern shopping centre such as Paragon or the Sorya centre," he said.

PPMD & Rootiz would improve the market design, he said, and would build offices and apartments on the upper floors. Chan Sophal said the firm hopes to earn a return within five years from office and flat rentals.

It will take three years to construct the first three storeys, with the remaining five floors completed in the second phase, he said.

"We don't want to keep vendors out of business for too long," he said, adding that the company would find an alternative place for vendors during phase one of construction.

The chief of Kandal Market's committee, Sun Dany, said he was not involved in the deal between the company and the vendors.

"As long as the vendors and the company can reach an agreement, the investment will go ahead," he said. He added that a number of Kandal Market's 874 vendors and 495 mobile-stand sellers are not keen on the proposal.

The company said it has also approached vendors in the concrete section of the market, but most of those are not interested in redevelopment. Several of these vendors said the purported benefits were unclear, and before signing up, they want a clear message from the government assuring them their businesses will be protected.

"We plan to voice our concerns to Samdech Hun Sen so that he is aware of these challenges," a footwear vendor said Saturday on condition of anonymity.

South Korean company Rootiz & Geeco set up PPMD & Rootiz earlier this year. PPMD holds 30 percent of the company, with the rest owned by Rootiz.


  • Kak Channthy, Cambodian Space Project frontwoman, killed in crash at 38 [Updated]

    Updated 5:05pm, Tuesday, March 20, 2018 Kak Channthy, frontwoman of popular The Cambodian Space Project, was killed Tuesday morning in a traffic accident in Phnom Penh. She was 38. Channthy, the internationally recognised singer-songwriter also known as “Srey Thy”, was reportedly travelling in a tuk-tuk on the city's

  • Australians protest Asean summit visit by PM Hun Sen

    Hundreds of protesters gathered in Sydney’s Hyde Park on Friday to protest against Cambodian strongman Hun Sen, who claimed to have been gifted millions of dollars by the Australian government ahead of a special Asean summit this weekend. An estimated 300 protesters, the majority of

  • One Australian, one Cambodian killed in explosion at military base

    Updated: 5:20pm, Friday 16 March 2018 An Australian tourist and a Cambodian soldier were killed in an explosion on Thursday afternoon at an army base in Cambodia’s Kampong Speu province. The Australian, whom the government initially identified as a technical demining expert in his 40s, and

  • Peeling back layers of prehistory in Battambang

    When the man passed away, he had not yet reached 50. He belonged to a tribe that had settled near the Sangker River in Battambang province, likely cultivating the fields and raising animals. On the side, they hunted for boars, and even turtles, one of which