Subscribe Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Hope for Gold Tower restart

Hope for Gold Tower restart

Hope for Gold Tower restart

I cannot confirm exactly when, but we hope to restart as soon as possible ... hopefully in January or February next

THE project manager of Phnom Penh’s stalled US$300 million Gold Tower 42 development hopes construction on the skyscraper will restart as early as next month.

Three months ago, building work at the tower – which is set to be the capital’s tallest building at 192-metres high and is being developed by Yon Woo Cambodia Co – ground to a halt.

At the time, representatives told media that its builder, South Korea’s Hanil Engineering & Construction was undergoing financial restructuring, causing a delay to the development. Yesterday, leading officials at the skyscraper voiced belief that work could restart as early as January 2011.

Kim Kyo-Won, Hanil E&C’s Gold Tower 42 project director, said: “I cannot confirm exactly when, but we hope to restart as soon as possible …. hopefully in January or February next year.”

A Post reporter who visited the project site late Wednesday found activity at the previously deserted building site, which lies on the corner of Sihanouk and Monivong Boulevard.

This week, lights illuminating each of its 31-floors were being turned on at night.

A staff member at the building, who declined to be named, said that they also believed work would begin in the middle of January.

The hopes have also reached the surrounding area.

A repair man, working on the corner by the tower, reported that word had spread a street-level about a possible January restart.

“I am very happy when I hear news like this because I will do well with my business from construction workers - by selling food and repairing motorbikes,” he said.

When finished, 42-story Gold Tower is set to become the tallest building in the capital at 118.1 metres, dwarfing the 32-storey Canadia Tower.

So far, just 31-storeys of structure stand complete. The tower, which saw ground-breaking begin in 2008, was slated for completion in 2011.

Developers have previously said that 50 to 60 percent of the building had been sold to Cambodian and Korean investors.

Kim Kyo-Won said yesterday that the completion schedule had been put back.

“It will be affected a little bit. Maybe the couple’s months,” he said.

Kim Tae Yun, Yon Woo Cambodia’s assistant manager, declined to tell The Post earlier this week when construction was due to recommence, citing that nothing had changed.


  • Professor beaten by mob in Phnom Penh after alleged hit-and-run

    Updated with new information: 6:44am, Tuesday March 13 2018 A university professor accused of a hit-and-run has been transported to Vietnam with serious head injuries after he was brutally beaten by a mob in Phnom Penh late Sunday afternoon. A video of the attack shows a group

  • Australians protest Asean summit visit by PM Hun Sen

    Hundreds of protesters gathered in Sydney’s Hyde Park on Friday to protest against Cambodian strongman Hun Sen, who claimed to have been gifted millions of dollars by the Australian government ahead of a special Asean summit this weekend. An estimated 300 protesters, the majority of

  • American ‘fugitive’ arrested in Cambodia outside of US Embassy

    An American citizen was arrested on request by the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Tuesday, according to Cambodian police. Major General Uk Hei Sela, chief of investigations at the Department of Immigration, identified the man as American Jan Sterling Hagen, and said he was

  • One Australian, one Cambodian killed in explosion at military base

    Updated: 5:20pm, Friday 16 March 2018 An Australian tourist and a Cambodian soldier were killed in an explosion on Thursday afternoon at an army base in Cambodia’s Kampong Speu province. The Australian, whom the government initially identified as a technical demining expert in his 40s, and