Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Malaysian IT firm eyes Cambodia

Malaysian IT firm eyes Cambodia

Malaysian IT firm eyes Cambodia

Struck by revenue declines, Malaysia-based IT company Dataprep Holdings Bhd (DHB) is looking at overseas markets that could include Cambodia, according to the company’s annual report to Malaysia’s stock exchange.

“The Group … has several overseas projects in the pipeline, in countries such as Indonesia, China, Cambodia and Vietnam,” the chairman’s statement said, without giving more detail.

Malaysian paper the Sun yesterday quoted CEO Ahmad Rizan Ibrahim, who said that he is in talks in Cambodia and Vietnam. According to the annual report, the Group’s results “were affected by intense competition in the market and lower margin, which saw the group’s revenue base being eroded.”

Ken Chanthan, chairman of the ICT Association of Cambodia, said he welcomes a new player in Cambodia as “there is room for the industry to grow”.

According to Chanthan, 60 per cent of the IT companies in Cambodia are locally owned. The remaining 40 per cent foreign-owned companies are mostly Malaysian, Singaporean and Vietnamese.

DHB did not reply to an email yesterday. The company provides IT services to clients in government, education, telecommunication and the financial sector in Malaysia.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Breaking: PM says prominent human rights NGO ‘must close’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed the Interior Ministry to investigate the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) and potentially close it “because they follow foreigners”, appearing to link the rights group to the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party's purported “revolution”. The CNRP - the

  • Rainsy and Sokha ‘would already be dead’: PM

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday appeared to suggest he would have assassinated opposition leaders Sam Rainsy and Kem Sokha had he known they were promising to “organise a new government” in the aftermath of the disputed 2013 national elections. In a clip from his speech

  • Massive ceremony at Angkor Wat will show ‘Cambodia not in anarchy’: PM

    Government officials, thousands of monks and Prime Minister Hun Sen himself will hold a massive prayer ceremony at Angkor Wat in early December to highlight the Kingdom’s continuing “peace, independence and political stability”, a spectacle observers said was designed to disguise the deterioration of

  • PM tells workers CNRP is to blame for any sanctions

    In a speech to workers yesterday, Prime Minister Hun Sen pinned the blame for any damage inflicted on Cambodia’s garment industry by potential economic sanctions squarely on the opposition party. “You must remember clearly that if the purchase orders are reduced, it is all