Subscribe Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Mobitel offers stake in firm

Mobitel offers stake in firm

Mobitel offers stake in firm

Mobitel entered exclusive negotiations with France Telecom this week over the sale of a stake in the Cambodian mobile provider, according to industry sources.

“The company is not for sale, but a minority stake is available,” said an industry insider, requesting anonymity.

France Telecom – Europe’s third largest telecoms company – was negotiating for 40 percent of the provider, the source added.

Several foreign firms had been in discussions over a majority stake in Mobitel over the past year, until Cambodian owners The Royal Group improved its financial position by refinancing through the Bank of China in early November, he said.

In November, conglomerate The Royal Group inked a US$591-million deal to refinance Mobitel’s existing debts and expand its services with the Bank of China acting as main lender.

Prime Minister Hun Sen witnessed the deal in Phnom Penh, along with Wu Bangguo, chairman of the Standing Committee of the Chinese National People’s Congress.

Another person associated with France Telecom’s position confirmed this week’s negotiations. Speaking on a condition of anonymity, he said: “We very much hope to succeed,” but did not elaborate further.

Mobitel Chief Executive Officer David Spriggs declined to comment yesterday. The Royal Group and France Telecom
officials did not return request for comment.

France Telecom CEO Stephane Richard said last month that the firm may direct some of its €7 billion ($9.45 billion) war chest for emerging market expansion to Southeast Asia as its historic turf in Africa became more crowded.

He singled out possibilities in Southeast Asia, particularly the former French colonies of Cambodia, Vietnam, and Laos.

Meanwhile, Reuters reports claimed yesterday that Indonesia’s largest mobile phone company Telekomunikasi Indonesia (Telkom) was in talks with Mobitel over a potential purchase of a majority stake in the firm.

“I hope that the process of acquisition will be completed by the first quarter next year,” Telkom Chief Commissioner Tanri Abeng said, according to the report.

However, several Cambodian industry insiders said they were not aware of negotiations when contacted by The Post yesterday.

Statistics from Cambodia’s Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications obtained from an industry source show Mobitel has dropped to be the second largest mobile provider by subscriber numbers.

The largest was Metfone – owned by Viettel, a subsidiary of the Vietnamese military – claiming 2.84 million subscribers in November, or 33 percent of the total.
Mobitel claimed 2.73 million subscribers in the month, representing 32 percent of the overall total.

Hello, owned by Malaysia-based Axiata, came in third with 870,000 subscribers, or 10 percent share.

Minister of Posts and Telecommunications So Khun could not be contacted yesterday, while secretary of state La Narath claimed he was “too busy” to respond. ADDITIONAL REPORTING SANOEURN SAMBATH AND BLOOMBERG


  • Professor beaten by mob in Phnom Penh after alleged hit-and-run

    Updated with new information: 6:44am, Tuesday March 13 2018 A university professor accused of a hit-and-run has been transported to Vietnam with serious head injuries after he was brutally beaten by a mob in Phnom Penh late Sunday afternoon. A video of the attack shows a group

  • American ‘fugitive’ arrested in Cambodia outside of US Embassy

    An American citizen was arrested on request by the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Tuesday, according to Cambodian police. Major General Uk Hei Sela, chief of investigations at the Department of Immigration, identified the man as American Jan Sterling Hagen, and said he was

  • One Australian, one Cambodian killed in explosion at military base

    Updated: 5:20pm, Friday 16 March 2018 An Australian tourist and a Cambodian soldier were killed in an explosion on Thursday afternoon at an army base in Cambodia’s Kampong Speu province. The Australian, whom the government initially identified as a technical demining expert in his 40s, and

  • Australians protest Asean summit visit by PM Hun Sen

    Hundreds of protesters gathered in Sydney’s Hyde Park on Friday to protest against Cambodian strongman Hun Sen, who claimed to have been gifted millions of dollars by the Australian government ahead of a special Asean summit this weekend. An estimated 300 protesters, the majority of