Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Mobitel oversight uncertain

Mobitel oversight uncertain

Mobitel oversight uncertain

MOBITEL’S money-transfer service for mobile-phone users is set to launch in the next two months, but without oversight from the National Bank of Cambodia.

“We’re getting pretty close [to the launch],” operations manager Kay Lot said. He expected the service to begin in less than eight weeks.

Mobitel, the largest phone provider in the Kingdom by subscriber numbers, received a grant in May from the US$5 million GSM Association Foundation – which is largely funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation – to help provide financial services to unbanked populations.

Its goal is to make transfers easier for those without bank accounts, according to a previous GSMA press release.

“The GSMA initiative deals with mobile money, which includes features like money transfers, air-time top-up and bill payments,” Kay Lot said.

He confirmed that Mobitel’s new venture, unlike other schemes, would not be overseen by the National Bank.

“We don’t think this is banking,” he said last week.

He declined to comment on whether a bank would ultimately hold users’ funds, but said that “we haven’t finalised that yet”.

A representative of money-transfer service WING, a subsidiary of ANZ Bank, the market leader for mobile transfers in the Kingdom, said he hopes that any future competitors commit to oversight.

WING holds the money involved in its transfer service at ANZ Royal Bank, which is jointly owned by Mobitel’s parent firm Royal Group.

“We have been supervised by the National Bank since we launched 18 months ago,” operations manager Michael Joyce said.

“We hope any competitors make the same commitments that we have to protect the integrity of the financial system as well as the safety of the customers’ money.”

National Bank of Cambodia Director General Tal Nay Im and an ANZ spokesperson declined to comment yesterday.

The GSMA’s mobile money for the unbanked programme has extended 19 grants to firms across the world.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Rainsy and Sokha ‘would already be dead’: PM

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday appeared to suggest he would have assassinated opposition leaders Sam Rainsy and Kem Sokha had he known they were promising to “organise a new government” in the aftermath of the disputed 2013 national elections. In a clip from his speech

  • Massive ceremony at Angkor Wat will show ‘Cambodia not in anarchy’: PM

    Government officials, thousands of monks and Prime Minister Hun Sen himself will hold a massive prayer ceremony at Angkor Wat in early December to highlight the Kingdom’s continuing “peace, independence and political stability”, a spectacle observers said was designed to disguise the deterioration of

  • PM tells workers CNRP is to blame for any sanctions

    In a speech to workers yesterday, Prime Minister Hun Sen pinned the blame for any damage inflicted on Cambodia’s garment industry by potential economic sanctions squarely on the opposition party. “You must remember clearly that if the purchase orders are reduced, it is all

  • Ex-RFA journos accuse outlet

    Two former Radio Free Asia journalists held a press conference yesterday claiming they are each owed $28,000 by the US-funded radio broadcaster, which shuttered its in-country operations in September amid a government crackdown on independent media. The journalists, Sok Ratha and Ouk Savborey, maintained they organised