Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Phnom Penh SEZ still on schedule: officials

Phnom Penh SEZ still on schedule: officials

Phnom Penh SEZ still on schedule: officials

090504_13.jpg
090504_13.jpg

Special economic zone official says project is moving ahead with construction, despite the recent economic downturn

Photo by:

Kay Kimsong

Workers prep the site of the Phnom Penh SEZ in this file photo.

THE Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone (SEZ) announced Saturday that it has attracted 12 enterprises, despite worsening economic conditions in the country.  

The announcement comes following an impassioned speech by Prime Minister Hun Sen last week in which he lashed out at the Sihanoukville SEZ for persistent delays.

"Seven companies are operating and five are still building and waiting for additional investment at the Phnom Penh special economic zone," Samrith Eang, assistant to the chairman of the Phnom Penh SEZ, said at a celebration for international Labour Day.

"We have been successful in attracting additional investors," he said.

He added, however, that two of the companies were not yet registered with the Council for the Development of Cambodia.

The SEZ offers companies a number of benefits, including a nine-year tax break, unrestricted repatriation of profits and 99-year leases on property.

Samrith Eang said that construction was proceeding on schedule despite the economic downturn.

Tough market

Chea Vuthy, deputy secretary general for the Council for the Development of Cambodia, told the Post Saturday that although the first phase had been smooth, progress would depend on a recovery this year.

"We cannot force anyone to develop; it depends on market conditions," he said.

"But it's no problem. We will provide facilities to make it straightforward ... once companies register to invest in the zone," he added.  

Samrith Eang said the SEZ hopes to employ more than 8,500 workers in 2010, including more than 5,600 female workers and 210 foreign workers.

We cannot force anyone to develop, it depends on the

market conditions.

He said the SEZ would also try to employ people laid off as a direct result of the global economic crisis.

PM pressure

The prime minister last week accused planners of the Sihanoukville Special Economic Zone (SEZ) of delaying construction and costing the government in interest payments.

The government took out a US$3 million loan in 2006 from the Japanese government that was earmarked for design work on the SEZ, but no progress has been made, Hun Sen said.

"I have told the [Japanese government] to begin building the SEZ.

"We already signed an agreement in 2006, but we are still waiting," Hun Sen said.

He added that the delays are also deterring Japanese companies from investing in the SEZ.

Cambodia has 21 registered special economic zones, but many have delayed construction due to the economic slowdown.

Last month, the Duong Chhiv Group announced that a major SEZ in Takeo province was only 10 percent completed, despite receiving a government licence in 2006.

The Manhattan SEZ near Phnom Penh also said it is behind schedule.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Rainsy and Sokha ‘would already be dead’: PM

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday appeared to suggest he would have assassinated opposition leaders Sam Rainsy and Kem Sokha had he known they were promising to “organise a new government” in the aftermath of the disputed 2013 national elections. In a clip from his speech

  • Massive ceremony at Angkor Wat will show ‘Cambodia not in anarchy’: PM

    Government officials, thousands of monks and Prime Minister Hun Sen himself will hold a massive prayer ceremony at Angkor Wat in early December to highlight the Kingdom’s continuing “peace, independence and political stability”, a spectacle observers said was designed to disguise the deterioration of

  • PM tells workers CNRP is to blame for any sanctions

    In a speech to workers yesterday, Prime Minister Hun Sen pinned the blame for any damage inflicted on Cambodia’s garment industry by potential economic sanctions squarely on the opposition party. “You must remember clearly that if the purchase orders are reduced, it is all

  • Ex-RFA journos accuse outlet

    Two former Radio Free Asia journalists held a press conference yesterday claiming they are each owed $28,000 by the US-funded radio broadcaster, which shuttered its in-country operations in September amid a government crackdown on independent media. The journalists, Sok Ratha and Ouk Savborey, maintained they organised