Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Preah Vihear tourism drop

Preah Vihear tourism drop

Preah Vihear tourism drop

TOURIST visits to Preah Vihear temple declined following February’s border clashes, with foreigners in particular staying away from the province, according to provincial Tourism Department chief Kong Vibol.

Some 15,703 total tourists visited the temple complex from January to March this year, from 19,109 during the quarter in 2010 – though he said January 2011 had been particularly strong for tourist arrivals.

“Visitors to the temple came mainly in January before the deadly fighting, while some arrived in March,” he said.

“In February, the temple received not even a visitor.”

Violent clashes broke out between Cambodia and Thai forces between February 4 and 7 in areas claimed by both sides near the Preah Vihear temple complex.

Some 803 foreigners visited the temple during the first quarter 2011, of which 690 arrived in January, before the clashes broke out, said Kong Vibol.  

By contrast, during the first quarter of 2010, 159 foreigners visited Preah Vihear temple.

Foreign tourists continued to stay away, despite fighting largely ending in the first week of February, he said.

“Military confrontation still continues since [the clashes], so visitors are still scared to visit the temple.”

Cambodian Association of Travel Agents President Ang Kim Eang said the government of Cambodia welcomed tourists to the site, adding Preah Vihear had the potential to become second to the Angkor Wat complex as a draw card for international visitors.

“For everyone who’s been there, it will be easy to answer why it is on the World Heritage list,” he said.

The combination of an impressive temple in a natural surrounding makes Preah Vihear “very unique”, said Ang Kim Eang.

The arrival of Indonesian observers to the area would be the “first step” to attracting tourists back to the temple complex, he added.

“The Cambodian side always welcomes tourists.”

However, Kong Vibol said it would likely take some time for tourists to return to Preah Vihear at the levels seen before February's confrontation.

“Tourists have begun to increase so far this month,” he said.

“But I think tourists are still concerned about the current confrontation at the border, though we haven’t had any clashes [recently].” ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY JEREMY MULLINS

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Rainsy and Sokha ‘would already be dead’: PM

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday appeared to suggest he would have assassinated opposition leaders Sam Rainsy and Kem Sokha had he known they were promising to “organise a new government” in the aftermath of the disputed 2013 national elections. In a clip from his speech

  • Massive ceremony at Angkor Wat will show ‘Cambodia not in anarchy’: PM

    Government officials, thousands of monks and Prime Minister Hun Sen himself will hold a massive prayer ceremony at Angkor Wat in early December to highlight the Kingdom’s continuing “peace, independence and political stability”, a spectacle observers said was designed to disguise the deterioration of

  • PM tells workers CNRP is to blame for any sanctions

    In a speech to workers yesterday, Prime Minister Hun Sen pinned the blame for any damage inflicted on Cambodia’s garment industry by potential economic sanctions squarely on the opposition party. “You must remember clearly that if the purchase orders are reduced, it is all

  • Ex-RFA journos accuse outlet

    Two former Radio Free Asia journalists held a press conference yesterday claiming they are each owed $28,000 by the US-funded radio broadcaster, which shuttered its in-country operations in September amid a government crackdown on independent media. The journalists, Sok Ratha and Ouk Savborey, maintained they organised