Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Road claims concern Forte

Road claims concern Forte

Road claims concern Forte

AN increase in road collision claims has become a concern for one of the Kingdom’s leading insurers, as the sector posted strong revenue growth in the first nine months of this year.

Youk Chamroeunrith, general manager at Forte, Cambodia’s largest insurer, said yesterday that the firm had seen a 35 percent increase in premiums revenues from January to September, compared to the same period of 2009.

But he said that claims for road collisions were becoming an increasing concern for Forte, which had seen claims grow by 10 percent this year.

“Now, they’re increasing at a controllable rate, but if they continue to rise in the future it will be bad for the insurance industry,” he said.

“As people's living conditions are better and they use more luxury vehicles – the cost of compensation will be higher.”

He called for the government to strengthen traffic laws and enforce strict penalties for drunken drivers, a factor he said was important in keeping the number of claims from expanding too rapidly.

Road collisions were also pushing up claims and premiums at Cambodian National Insurance Company, said the firm’s managing director, Duong Vibol, yesterday. However, growth was still at a “reasonable rate”.

Premiums at CNIC had increased by 23 percent in the first nine months of the year, compared to the same period last year, and the number of claims had climbed 11.7 percent, he said.

Rival company Infinity Insurance had also seen an increase in motor vehicle claims, but Chief Executive Officer David Carter said they were growing in line with the increased number of vehicles on the road.

“Proportionally, we have not seen an increase in claims,” he said.

The firm has seen premiums grow 70 percent for the January to September period to US$4 million, compared to last year, he said. Cao Minh Son, chief executive officer of Cambodia Vietnam Insurance, has seen the firm’s premiums total $750,000 over the first nine months – while paying out less than $8,000 in claims during the period.

The firm set up shop in Cambodia in November of last year, and said its small claim payments came mostly from auto collisions.

“We hope that our premium would reach a $1 million target at the end of the year,” he said.

The two other firms providing insurance in the Kingdom – Campubank Lonpac and Asia Insurance – could not be reached for comment
yesterday.

In the first six months of this year, according to data released by the Interior Ministry’s Department of Public Orde – which collates road accident data from police reports – the number of road fatalities stayed almost steady at 931 from January to July, compared to 934 a year earlier.

The number of reported collisions declined 7 percent in the first half of this year – with totals dropping from 3,257 to 3,040.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Rainsy and Sokha ‘would already be dead’: PM

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday appeared to suggest he would have assassinated opposition leaders Sam Rainsy and Kem Sokha had he known they were promising to “organise a new government” in the aftermath of the disputed 2013 national elections. In a clip from his speech

  • Massive ceremony at Angkor Wat will show ‘Cambodia not in anarchy’: PM

    Government officials, thousands of monks and Prime Minister Hun Sen himself will hold a massive prayer ceremony at Angkor Wat in early December to highlight the Kingdom’s continuing “peace, independence and political stability”, a spectacle observers said was designed to disguise the deterioration of

  • PM tells workers CNRP is to blame for any sanctions

    In a speech to workers yesterday, Prime Minister Hun Sen pinned the blame for any damage inflicted on Cambodia’s garment industry by potential economic sanctions squarely on the opposition party. “You must remember clearly that if the purchase orders are reduced, it is all

  • Ex-RFA journos accuse outlet

    Two former Radio Free Asia journalists held a press conference yesterday claiming they are each owed $28,000 by the US-funded radio broadcaster, which shuttered its in-country operations in September amid a government crackdown on independent media. The journalists, Sok Ratha and Ouk Savborey, maintained they organised