Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Tourism potential seen in Beautiful Bay status

Tourism potential seen in Beautiful Bay status

Tourism potential seen in Beautiful Bay status

110601_07
A man walks through the surf at Ochheuteal beach in Sihanoukville town in February. Ministry officials hope a title recognising the coast's beauty will increase tourism.

Cambodia is counting on a designation bestowed on its coast to increase investment in its beachfront, as statistics show an overall double digit percentage increase in visits to the Kingdom over the first four months of 2011.

The Kingdom’s 450 kilometre coastline between Koh Kong and Kep would become the second largest tourist draw behind the Angkor temples, Minister of Tourism Thong Khon said Tuesday, as he returned from
Senegal with official recognition that Cambodia’s coast had joined the Most Beautiful Bays in the World club.

The ministry is seeking private investment from developers, aiming to raise incomes through increased tourist visits.

“If the beaches are developed well, our people will earn more money from tourists,” he said.

Along with having an attractive natural environment, becoming a member of the club requires the country to show potential for economic development and have the means of protecting its natural resources, Thong Khon said.

Meanwhile, the Tourism Working Group for the six Greater Mekong Subregion countries, including Cambodia, met in Pakse last week, aiming to promote and develop the tourism industry in the region.

The overall performance of GMS tourism has been impressive over the past decade, but its contribution to economic growth and heritage protection is held back by several constraints, an Asian Development Bank press release said.

“Some of these constraints include limited institutional capacity and human resources to plan, develop and manage socially responsible tourism and safeguard heritage assets,” said Chong Chi Nai, ADB Country Director to Lao PDR Resident Mission. “GMS countries will need to make substantial investments in human resources and infrastructure to sustain tourism growth and manage its negative impacts.”  

More than a million foreign visitors arrived in Cambodia in the first four months of the year, an increase of 13.2 percent compared to the same period last year, according to statistics from the Ministry of Tourism.

Vietnam was the largest overall source in foreign arrivals, and increased 13 percent year-over-year.

South Korean and Chinese tourist numbers were number two and three, with increases of 22.5 percent and 34.4 percent respectively, the statistics show.

Thai tourist numbers, however, fell 35.5 percent in the first four months of the year, according to the statistics. Fighting has broken out on the Cambodia-Thai border in February and again in April.

“We're not stopping them [Thai tourists] from coming,” Thong Khon said. “We welcome all international visitors to the Kingdom.”

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Rainsy and Sokha ‘would already be dead’: PM

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday appeared to suggest he would have assassinated opposition leaders Sam Rainsy and Kem Sokha had he known they were promising to “organise a new government” in the aftermath of the disputed 2013 national elections. In a clip from his speech

  • Massive ceremony at Angkor Wat will show ‘Cambodia not in anarchy’: PM

    Government officials, thousands of monks and Prime Minister Hun Sen himself will hold a massive prayer ceremony at Angkor Wat in early December to highlight the Kingdom’s continuing “peace, independence and political stability”, a spectacle observers said was designed to disguise the deterioration of

  • PM tells workers CNRP is to blame for any sanctions

    In a speech to workers yesterday, Prime Minister Hun Sen pinned the blame for any damage inflicted on Cambodia’s garment industry by potential economic sanctions squarely on the opposition party. “You must remember clearly that if the purchase orders are reduced, it is all

  • Ex-RFA journos accuse outlet

    Two former Radio Free Asia journalists held a press conference yesterday claiming they are each owed $28,000 by the US-funded radio broadcaster, which shuttered its in-country operations in September amid a government crackdown on independent media. The journalists, Sok Ratha and Ouk Savborey, maintained they organised