Most employees at a shoe factory where more than 40 workers – including two pregnant women – fainted on Saturday afternoon will return to work today.
However, the 44 workers who fainted will be allowed to remain at home, with pay, until Wednesday, said Sun Meng, administration chief at Long Let Co, Ltd, where the faintings occurred.
Meng said yesterday that fumes from a drying kiln fire, which occurred due to an electrical malfunction, likely caused workers to faint. The factory was closed until this morning.
“Apart from fabric kiln fires, there are not serious damages [to the factory],” Meng said yesterday. “This morning, all workers will be back to work as usual except the 44 people who fainted, who are allowed to have two days off without skimming their wages and bonuses.”
Provincial Free Trade Union representative Nem Saran said yesterday he hoped the factory learned its lesson, after forcing employees to continue working after the fire on Saturday, despite the fact that noxious fumes from the burned material lingered in the workplace.