A fire at a guesthouse in Ratanakkiri province’s Banlung town has killed one woman, police said yesterday.
Yun Bunna, Banlung town police chief, said that the fire started at about 6:30am yesterday in room 32 of Chhay Vang Guesthouse near the roundabout downtown.
Bunna said that of the two people staying in the room, the woman, 21-year-old Ly Ly, died, while a man, Kol Rithy, 22, survived with serious burns. The two were tourists from Takeo province.
“In the preliminary steps, the authorities concluded that the fire accident might be caused by an electrical malfunction,” Bunna said.
Chhay Vang, the guesthouse owner, said he called firefighters when he saw flames coming out of the room.
“While extinguishing [the fire], we found a man who was trying to crawl out and we sent him to the hospital immediately. But the woman died already. We are really sorry for the terrible incident,” he said.
Nhearn Taisy, Laban Siek commune chief, said a funeral for the victim had been carried out in Phnom Svay pagoda, and that there has been no contact from relatives.