ROYAL UNIVERSITY OF LAW AND ECONOMICS
English Language Based Bachelor of Law (ELBBL)
The English Language Based Bachelor of Law Program (ELBBL) at the Royal University of Law and Economics in Phnom Penh, Cambodia is a degree-conferring legal education program accredited by the Cambodian Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport. Run by a small staff of full-time employees, program consultants, and lecturers, ELBBL educates approximately 300 Cambodian law students and offers career counseling, internship placement, and opportunities to participate in international moot court competitions.
ELBBL is presently seeking a Deputy Director for a long-term commitment. The Deputy Director works closely with the Director to determine program design and direction. S/he is primarily responsible for implementation of the Program’s strategic plan and for day-to-day operations.
The position is full time and is based in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Compensation is competitive.
Duties and Requirements
The Deputy Director works under the Director to implement a strategic plan to strengthen and expand the ELBBL program. This includes, but is not limited to:
• Continually reviewing and revising the ELBBL curriculum and extracurricular offerings to ensure that they meet international standards and ASEAN University Network criteria;
• Assessing content and quality of individual courses;
• Managing ELBBL faculty, i.e. recruiting and hiring lecturers, drafting employment contracts, addressing issues as they arise;
• Supervising consultants and office staff, including a Program Manager and administrative staff;
• Building and maintaining strategic partnerships with legal organizations and donors;
• With the Director, coordinating the moot court competition season and overseeing tryouts for all competitions;
• Managing the ELBBL budget and expenditures;
• Managing student affairs and academic issues. This includes addressing student concerns and performance issues, and overseeing student recruitment and enrollment.
• Representing ELBBL to the rest of the university, potential partners and the public.
Candidates must possess:
• A post-bachelor law degree (LLM, JD, JSD) and demonstrated understanding of rule of law and legal education issues in Cambodia;
• Prior experience evidencing exceptional organizational skills and the ability to juggle multiple projects and responsibilities simultaneously;
• Considerable initiative and the ability to work without substantial direction or oversight;
• Fluency in English and excellent verbal and written communication skills;
• Willingness to sign a minimum two-year commitment following a short-term training period;
• A clear commitment to legal education, Cambodian development, and social justice.
Preference will be given to candidates possessing:
• Prior professional experience directing or managing a legal education program;
• Prior experience teaching or conducting legal trainings;
• Fluency in Khmer.
Interested candidates should submit a copy of their CV, proof of legal degrees earned (transcript or copy of diploma); and statement of interest. Candidates may submit up to two letters reference, but please do not send additional letters of reference or certificates of trainings attended.
Applications will be accepted and considered on a rolling basis, so candidates should submit their application materials as soon as possible. The final date to submit applications is 7 August 2015.
Given the expected high number of applications, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Submit applications and/or questions to [email protected]