CDRI, Cambodia’s leading independent development policy research institute, is seeking to appoint a Director of Research to join its senior management team. Established in 1990, CDRI is an independent multi-disciplinary policy research institute working in the fields of economics, education, agriculture, governance, environment and health. CDRI pursues its mission through research and its dissemination, policy influencing, and capacity development, supported by a research library and seminars, workshops and conferences. While independent, CDRI works in partnerships with the major stakeholders in Cambodia’s development – the Royal Government of Cambodia and its agencies, international development partners, the private sector, research community, and civil society.
The Director of Research position offers an exciting and challenging opportunity to lead and manage CDRI’s research programme, consistent with CDRI mission statement and goals, and its Cambodia Country Research Strategy and associated Strategic Plan. S/he should have a commitment to quality research and to ensure the integrity and relevance of research projects to the policy needs of Cambodia’s socio-economic development. The holder of the position will provide strategic direction and support to a multi-disciplinary team of researchers.
The Director of Research will foster and strengthen the professional development and capacity building of Cambodian researchers. S/he will promote a collegial working environment, conducive to scholarship, creativity and productivity. S/he will assume responsibility for the delivery of research outputs and ensure the effective dissemination of research findings and analysis; and for actively engaging Cambodian policy makers, the development assistance community, and civil society organisations in policy discussion. S/he will develop relationships in support of research objectives, and facilitate national, regional, and international cooperation between research institutes with mutual interests.
Desirable Qualifications and Experience:
- A PhD in field relevant to CDRI’s research priorities, with a strong track record of applied and policy- oriented development research in the Asian region;
- A recent record of achievement in development research leadership and management with a significant institution;
- A significant body of development research publications in a field relevant to Cambodia’s development priorities;
- A strong commitment to quality development policy research in Cambodia and its region;
- Excellent communication skills including English writing and oral skills, and cross-cultural sensitivity, with Khmer language skills an advantage;
- Proven record of successful research grant applications
- Experience in mentoring and coaching researchers
- Strong research capacity building, quality assurance, team building and research management skills.
The appointment is by contract for a three year period with the possibility of extension. CDRI welcomes secondments from other research institutions. Women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. Application letter with a detailed CV, publication references, and names and contact details of three professional referees should be addressed to the Executive Director of CDRI by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by mail to PO Box 622, Phnom Penh, Cambodia, by 10 April 2017. Further details may be obtained from the CDRI website: http://www.cdri.org.kh. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Tensions seemed to subside as quickly as they escalated at the Laos-Cambodia border.
Shaved ice, fruit toppings, and a squirt of cream – these are the ingredients to make a perfect bingsu.