The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflicts and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance.
The ICRC Office in Phnom Penh is currently looking for qualified and motivated candidates, with the capacity to work autonomously, to fill the following position:
For reasons related to the institution’s working procedures, in particular its principle of neutrality, the ICRC cannot consider Cambodian-, Vietnamese-, and Thai-nationals for this position.
Main Responsibilities and tasks
• Oral interpretation from Khmer to English and vice-versa during confidential interviews with persons detained in prisons, ICRC institutional dissemination sessions, and meetings with authorities at all levels
• Written translation from Khmer to English of newspaper articles, correspondence, legal documents, etc.
• Written translation from English to Khmer of correspondence, reports, ICRC dissemination material, and other internal and external communication
The ideal candidate fulfils following requirements
• Ideal age: 25 to 50
• Prepared to accept unaccompanied posting (no family benefits) during the first 24 months of employment
• University education, degree in interpretation or translation an advantage
• Strong translation and interpretation skills, professional experience an asset
• Excellent command of spoken and written Khmer and English
• Fully conversant with MS office applications and Khmer Unicode
• Driving licence (for manual transmission vehicles)
• Strongly motivated by humanitarian work
• Open-minded and adaptable, able to work in a team
• Neat appearance, eloquent, well-developed writing and summarizing skills
• Available to occasionally travel abroad for short assignments, mainly Thailand
Starting Date: May 2014 or as agreed
What we offer
• An opportunity to uphold humanitarian values
• Attractive employment conditions and benefits (expat package)
Interested candidates are invited to apply either through www.icrc.org , see link http://www.icrc.org/eng/resources/documents/job/always-in-demand/fd-interpreter.htm Or submit their full application file with motivation letter to following address, no later than 15 March 2014: Attn. Administration, Ref. Khmer Interpreter, ICRC, #8 Street 178, Sangkat Phsar Thmey III, Phnom Penh, Cambodia Or e-mail to ICRCppo.firstname.lastname@example.org
Short-listed candidates will be notified for the interview process.
With an attempted coup against the government of President Recep Erdogan quashed only days ago and more than 7,000 alleged conspirators now under arrest, the Turkish ambassador to Cambodia yesterday pressed the govern
Two opposition lawmakers, Nhay Chamroeun and Kong Sakphea were beaten unconscious during protests in Phnom Penh, as over a thousand protesters descended upon the National Assembly.
Students at Phnom Penh's Liger Learning Center have written and published a new book, "The Cambodian Economy".