Under the guidance and supervision of the Scientist (Malaria, other Vectorborne and Parasitic Diseases), the incumbent will assist WHO’s efforts to support the National Centre for Parasitology, Entomology and Malaria Control (CNM) of the Ministry of Health (MoH) and other national partners including the provincial and operational district-level staff as well as other key stakeholders in the community, private sector and nongovernmental organizations; in all aspects of the artemisinin resistant Pf parasite elimination activities.
The Technical Officer (Mekong Elimination Programme) will work in close collaboration with his/her technical colleagues and government counterparts both at the central and provincial levels in the MEP programme activities. Within the framework of existing guidelines and under the delegated authority of the WHO Representative, the incumbent is expected to interpret and adapt existing guidelines within the framework of the elimination programme and with the concurrence of the supervisor. He/She will further have to exercise a great degree of initiative in managing and implementing activities to ensure as far as possible that the project achieves its goals within the given time frame. Available guidelines used in the performance of work include WHO policy guidelines and programme objectives as approved through the resolutions of the World Health Assembly, the Executive Board and the Regional Committee for the Western Pacific, the general programme of work, global and regional strategies, the WHO Manual and WPR Policies and Procedures Handbook, and other relevant documents. Work is reviewed by the supervisor through regular monitoring and review of programme implementation, as well as the Performance Management Development System. The Country Cooperation Strategy, relevant project documents and agreements, and the WHO Representative’s Office, Cambodia operations are the primary guiding documents at country level.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance and supervision of the Scientist (MVP Head of program) and in close collaboration with national counterparts, as well as the relevant programmes in the Regional Office and WHO Headquarters, the incumbent will perform the following functions:
1. Provide support to the National Centre for Parasitology, Entomology and Malaria Control (CNM) of the Ministry of Health (MoH) and other partners in their efforts to effectively contain the artemisinin resistant Pf malaria parasites in Cambodia by:
- assisting in implementation and monitoring of the Cambodia component of the Malaria Mekong Elimination Project, including cross-border activities;
- supporting project implementation in the Cambodia project area;
- acting as focal point for operational research;
- participating in project meetings;
- assisting in translation and interpretation of project documents (Khmer to English, English to Khmer);
- liaising with Cambodia national agencies involved;
- promoting collaboration with partners and stakeholders at all levels of the system.
2. Within the context of broader efforts to prevent and control malaria, provide support to the implementation of existing national malaria programme activities linked to the containment project.
3. Perform other related duties as required.
• University degree in medicine and/or other health related field or its equivalent professional training.
• Training in malaria and other communicable diseases control, surveillance and evaluation techniques.
Experience and skills
• Five years’ experience in project management, including implementation, monitoring and supervision skills and capacity building, and including at least 2 years’ experience in implementation of vector borne disease control programme
• Experience in operational field research activities
• Proficiency in standard MS office applications.
Languages: Excellent knowledge of spoken and written English and Khmer
Salary: as per WHO salary scale for NPO-C in Cambodia
Deadline for applications: 22 March 2017
Post is subject to local recruitment and will be filled by persons recruited in the local commuting area of the office. Interested applicants are required to send a CV and create a profile in WHO’s system Stellis website at: http://www.who.int/careers/en/. Please bring the printed Personal History Form completed online along with three references to WHO Representative Office before the deadline or via e-mail: email@example.com. Please indicate “VN for Position 373512” on the subject of your application. Smoking is not allowed in WHO premises. Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted for test and/or interview.
For additional information please contact the WHO office in Phnom Penh located at 1st Floor, No. 61-64, Preah Norodom Blvd. (corner St. 306), by email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or telephone 023216610 ext. # 81001.
Tensions seemed to subside as quickly as they escalated at the Laos-Cambodia border.
Shaved ice, fruit toppings, and a squirt of cream – these are the ingredients to make a perfect bingsu.