JICA CAMBODIA OFFICE
Program Officer in Infrastructure Division and in Loan Operations
Founded in 1974, Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) is an executing agency of Japanese Official Development Assistance (ODA) for technical assistance, focusing on capacity building, organization strengthening and human resource development that will enable developing countries to pursue their sustainable socio-economic development. In October 2008, JICA started undertaking Japanese ODA loan operations, as well as grant assistance in addition to its current operations, after the merger with a part of JBIC (Japan Bank for International Cooperation).
Japanese ODA assistance in Cambodia has been provided to various areas including Governance, Social Services, Training, Social and Economic Development / Infrastructure, etc. Among them, infrastructure development, such as ports, power network, telecom network, special economic zones and road construction, is one of the main areas.
The newly recruited staff will be working closely with the infrastructure division and other JICA staff in administering the formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the projects and other necessary tasks related to the activities. At the same time, the staff will be working closely with JICA staff in administering Japanese ODA loan operations (loan management, procurement and disbursement administration, projects monitoring, etc.), assisting to formulate new projects, and other necessary tasks related to the activities.
The staff will be based in Phnom Penh, with occasional travels to provinces/other countries.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
1. To be in charge of various JICA sponsored projects mainly in the port and power sectors.
2. To collect and analyze information related to current political and economic context, various needs in the infrastructure development sector.
3. To liaise with government agencies, private sectors, and other relevant organizations such as development partners (DPs) in implementing, monitoring projects as well as arranging schedule for mission teams from Japan.
4. To represent the JICA Cambodia office at relevant meetings, workshops, and seminars, etc.
5. To engage in secretarial works and logistical arrangements.
6. To engage in the project formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation in the infrastructure division under the supervision of the division chief.
7. To take in charge of lending operations together with Japanese staff, in particular
i. procurement – to review documents, such as bidding documents and contracts; and to review processes related to the employment of consultants, tendering, and evaluations, to examine if they are in accordance the relevant JICA guidelines.
ii. disbursement – to review requests for disbursements, process disbursement documents in coordination with relevant departments of JICA; and to coordinate with the relevant ministry/executing agencies to forecast and monitor financial demand and flows, etc.
iii. project monitoring – to monitor the progress of projects and take necessary actions with the executing agencies for ensuring smooth and effective implementation of the projects.
Requirements (Qualifications and Experience)
1. University degree in the relevant areas (Economics, Social Science, Development Study, Finance, Business Administration, Engineering). Degree in Civil engineering or advanced degree in these areas would be of a great advantage.
2. Native tongue in Khmer and excellent speaking, reading and writing ability in English.
3. Minimum three to five years of prior experience directly working on public policy, economics/infrastructure development, or finance/business administration, procurement, etc).
4. Prior experience on working with procurement guidelines of bilateral or multi-lateral aid agency/development banks will be a great advantage
5. Long-term carrier vision as a JICA staff for more than 3 years.
1. Ability to work independently under a minimum supervision as well as ability to work as a team
2. Sufficient ability to read, summarize and analyze the relevant documents such as reports issued by government agencies or relevant DP(s).
3. Proficiency with relevant computer programs (internet, email, Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point)
4. Strong commitment to learn and improve
5. Knowledge of the Cambodian economic/infrastructure development, public finance and relevant field(s) would be a great advantage.
Submission of Applications
Interested candidates shall send the documents below to JICA Cambodia office, General affairs section, P.O. Box 613, 6th, 7th, 8th Floors, Building #61-64, Preah Norodom Blvd., Phnom Penh, Cambodia; or via e-mail to Tokura.Yuko@jica.go.jp. Pre-selection will be conducted on the basis of the submitted documents to compile a short list of prospective candidates. Only the short listed candidates will receive acknowledgements. All applications are treated with strict confidentiality.
The deadline for receipt of application is 27th May, 2015.
1. Written Pledge (1 copy)
2. Curriculum vitae (1 copy) * Salary expectations should be indicated in it.
3. Credential (1 copy)
1. The employment period will start in the beginning of June, 2015.
2. Initial contract period shall be until 30th November 2015, with a possible extension, given satisfactory performance and workload demand.
3. A probationary period lasting three months from the day of recruitment.
With an attempted coup against the government of President Recep Erdogan quashed only days ago and more than 7,000 alleged conspirators now under arrest, the Turkish ambassador to Cambodia yesterday pressed the govern
Two opposition lawmakers, Nhay Chamroeun and Kong Sakphea were beaten unconscious during protests in Phnom Penh, as over a thousand protesters descended upon the National Assembly.
Students at Phnom Penh's Liger Learning Center have written and published a new book, "The Cambodian Economy".