Research Assistant – 2 years with possible extension
Phnom Penh with travel to provinces
BBC Media Action is the BBC’s international development charity. We believe in the power of media and communication to help reduce poverty and support people in understanding their rights. Our aim is to inform, connect and empower people around the world.
Overall Purpose of Job: To work primarily on audience research, and informing and measuring the impact of BBC Media Action’s programming in Cambodia.
• Assist the SRO in all aspects of research activities as required, including research administration and organization of fieldwork.
• Assist in the design of research instruments such as questionnaires and discussion guides.
• Monitoring and control the quality of fieldwork/data collection by research agencies and freelancers.
• Assist in moderating focus groups and conducting depth interviews as required, and continually look for ways to improve data collection, research design, moderation and analysis of data.
• Work closely with SRO and other members of the research team in analysis of qualitative and/or quantitative data.
• Assist the SRO and other members of the research team in disseminating key findings and strategic recommendations in English to the end users of research (internal/external).
• Assist in reviewing the latest trends and developments in research methodologies related to behavior change, impact assessment and communications research, and evaluate their suitability to the Media Action’s Research and Learning work.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Experience
• Completed university degree or university student in final year of studies.
• Good interpersonal, communication and organizational skills, able to work well as part of a team
• Good spoken and written English language skills, and excellent in Khmer.
• Experience in administrative work and/or co-ordinating logistics of research fieldwork.
• Experience in assisting with or conducting qualitative research fieldwork
• Computer literate, be familiar with Microsoft Word, Excel, Internet/E-mail.
• Knowledge of focus group research methodology.
• Qualitative data entry skills.
• Ability to meet tight deadlines.
Desirable, but not required,
• Extensive experience moderating focus groups or conducting community assessments/participatory research.
• Experience conducting qualitative analysis
• Experience conducting research with young people in Cambodia
• Experience researching social capital or social cohesion (either through academic research or primary fieldwork)
• Experience in media research
• Experience designing research materials
• Experience of English to Khmer translation.
• Strong presentation skills and report writing skills (in English).
Interested applicants should submit a CV with an introduction letter detailing skills and outlining what they can bring to the job. Please do not submit certificates at this stage. Send to: BBC Media Action, #296 (4th-7th floor) Street 271, Phnom Penh, (PO Box 155). Or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Tel: 023 997 435.
Only short-listed candidates will be called to attend an interview.
Closing Date: 23rd June 2014. The BBC is an equal opportunities employer.
With an attempted coup against the government of President Recep Erdogan quashed only days ago and more than 7,000 alleged conspirators now under arrest, the Turkish ambassador to Cambodia yesterday pressed the govern
Two opposition lawmakers, Nhay Chamroeun and Kong Sakphea were beaten unconscious during protests in Phnom Penh, as over a thousand protesters descended upon the National Assembly.
Students at Phnom Penh's Liger Learning Center have written and published a new book, "The Cambodian Economy".