The British Embassy in Phnom Penh is part of a world-wide network of 230 Posts, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. We are currently looking to recruit a Senior Political Officer to join our dynamic team.
This is an important and high profile role within the Embassy. The officer will lead on analysis and reporting of political developments within Cambodia, as well as the country’s relations with its ASEAN partners. In addition, the officer will supervise the Embassy’s public diplomacy and programme work, ensuring that these are in line with the Embassy’s wider policy objectives.
• Report significant developments in Cambodian politics, including domestic and foreign policy. Analyse policy decisions and assess the impact of these developments on UK policy.
• Help build the Embassy’s relations with the widest possible range of contacts in government, political parties, media and civil society. Advise the Ambassador on developing closer UK ties across Government and civil society.
• Monitor and report on Cambodia’s policies within ASEAN, including its chairmanship in 2012.
• Oversee the development of a cross-Embassy public diplomacy strategy to raise awareness of the UK, its values and activities in Cambodia.
• Responsible for the strategic oversight of the Embassy’s portfolio of project work, including programme and policy work.
• Supervision of the Project Manager.
• Education to at least degree level, preferably in a subject relevant to the position
• A strong track record of relevant experience, achievements and enthusiasm for the subject matter
• Excellent written and spoken communication skills in English (IELTS certification an advantage) and Khmer, including the ability to write reports and give presentations, and use MS Office packages routinely
• Able to think independently, research and analyse issues, and make policy recommendations
• Good networking skills and the confidence to represent the Embassy in dealing with senior contacts, including within government
• Seeing the Big Picture
• Making Effective Decisions
• Leading & Communicating
• Managing a Quality Service
The British Embassy offers a competitive remuneration package, including salary, benefits, leave entitlement and training opportunities.
We also offer 18 days of leave entitlement per annum pro rata.
Please send your CV and the completed application form, which can be downloaded from our website at https://www.gov.uk/government/world/organisations/british-embassy-phnom-penh/about/recruitment to firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications must be received on or before 12 November 2014. Please note that incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Employment offers are subject to the successful clearance of pre-employment checks. You must be eligible to work in Cambodia. No accommodation or relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position.
Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy Phnom Penh are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law.
The British Embassy is an equal opportunities employer and does not discriminate on grounds of ethnic origin, race, religious beliefs, age, disability, gender or sexual orientation.
Tensions seemed to subside as quickly as they escalated at the Laos-Cambodia border.
Shaved ice, fruit toppings, and a squirt of cream – these are the ingredients to make a perfect bingsu.