The World Bank office in Cambodia is looking for dynamic, committed and capable individuals to work as Short-term Consultant: Finance & Markets for its Cambodia Program. The position will be based in Phnom Penh. This is a locally- recruited Short-term consultant contract.
The Finance & Markets Global Practice (FMGP) of the World Bank Group aims to help countries build deep, diversified, inclusive, efficient and stable financial systems which are essential to promoting economic growth and reducing poverty and increasing shared prosperity. The practice is committed to delivering tailored solutions to development challenges by leveraging the whole range of the WBG’s financial, knowledge/advisory and convening services for clients. The FMGP in the East Asia and Pacific (EAP) is responsible for the World Bank’s work in financial sector development within the EAP region.
The FMGP team based in Thailand covers five South East Asian (SEA) countries including Cambodia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, and Thailand. The FMGP team in Thailand is responsible for all financial sector development projects in these five countries ranging from ad-hoc advisory services, just-in-time assistance, policy dialogue, programmatic technical assistance programs, and long term financing programs. The work program in SEA countries is growing rapidly and requires additional qualified short-term consultants.
Duties and Accountabilities:
• Actively engage as part of the FMGP team in the preparation, appraisal, implementation, and supervision of financial sector projects including, but not limited to, lending operations, technical assistance, and advisory services & analytics (ASA).
• Provide support for or manage financial sector projects.
• Monitor market developments, update standard financial sector data, and undertake research and analysis of the financial sectors in client countries.
• Provide analytical, research and implementation support to the team as needed.
• Draft inputs to studies, reports, and presentations based on independent research and analysis.
• Provide support for financial sector Donor Co-ordination, including organizing donor meetings.
• Provide operational input to Country Teams and, as requested by the Practice Manager or the Country Manager, advise client governments on financial sector policy issues.
• Coordinate with FMGP team members and other relevant teams in WBG Headquarters and Country Offices to ensure a timely response to client needs and effective delivery of the financial sector work programs.
• In consultation with other FMGP team members, build and maintain regular dialogue with Ministry of Finance, Central Bank, Securities Exchange Commission, other development partners, and other WBG partners on the best way to support financial development in the region.
• Master’s degree in a relevant discipline (i.e., finance, economics, public policy, related discipline, etc.) with at least 5 years’ of work experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Good knowledge of financial sector issues and demonstrated ability to engage in a broad range of development and policy issues in areas such as banking, regulation and supervision, financial infrastructure, capital markets, insurance, access to finance/financial inclusion, corporate governance.
• Solid analytical skills as demonstrated by contributions to policy papers, financial sector studies, reports and strategies.
• Ability to conduct research, analysis, and/or policy papers of financial sector issues
• A knowledge and familiarity with the East Asia Region and financial systems would be highly desirable.
• Strong interpersonal and client engagement skills
• Practical experience in supporting teams, including in arranging meetings and conferences.
• Fluency in Khmer language and proficiency in English language both oral and written communication skills
• Ability to travel in South East Asia,
The World Bank Group is committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, nationality, culture and educational background. Individuals with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications (Expression of interest and CV) must be submitted via email to email@example.com. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence. Closing date is October 31, 2015
Even though games such as “Fight for the leaf” or “Hide the towel” are traditionally played during the Khmer New Year holidays
One of 23 islands in the sea of Koh Kong, Koh Kmoch (Ghost Island) has a wealth of corals and other sealife visible through its crystal clear water.
In today’s world of fast-changing technology, Cambodia is seeing increasing innovation in financial services.