The U.S. Embassy in Phnom Penh is seeking an individual for the Translator/Interpreter position for the Consular Office, Department of State.
The incumbent works under the supervision of the Deputy Consular Section Chief and is reviewed by the Consular Section Chief. The position is a multi-functional position requiring the incumbent to work in every unit within the section. The incumbent serves as the section’s primary interpreter/translator from English into Khmer and vice versa. The incumbent is also responsible for translating complicated Consular documents, including Cambodian laws into English, requiring a deep understanding of technical vocabulary and is also the primary Locally Employed Staff (LE Staff) for DNA collection at post, is the primary back-up for the correspondence unit, drafts Immigrant Visa (IV) revocation memos, and backs-up the American Citizen Services (ACS) unit as needed.
Salary: The annual salary range for this position is USD 9,404 – 14,578.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Education (English) or English Translation/Interpretation, Public Relation or Liberal Arts.
• Two (2) years of experience in translating and interpreting.
• Level IV (Fluent) Speaking/Reading/Writing English and Khmer is required. Language proficiency will be tested.
• Must have knowledge of Cambodian culture and social mores, and family relationships, be comfortable working with and applying regulations and statutes, be familiar with internal controls and fraud prevention investigative procedures. Must develop a working understanding of Cambodia legal environment and government structure and become familiar with host country laws relating to marriage, common-law marriages, and divorce. This position also requires the understanding of complex U.S. laws, regulations, and guidelines regarding immigration and citizenship.
• Must have strong command of both the Cambodian and English languages, including strong written and oral communication skills in both languages. Must have ability to translate/interpret from Khmer into English and vice versa. Must have knowledge of general office management and proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and/or other IT softwares and ability to deal with customers with patience and tact and to work under pressure.
The application deadline is February 03, 2016. Interested candidates must submit applications by email to [email protected] using the “Universal Application for Employment as a Locally Employed Staff or Family Member (DS-174)” form. The application form and complete details on this position can be found at http://cambodia.usembassy.gov/employment_opportunities.html.
Note: All Ordinarily Resident (OR) applicants must have the required work and/or residency permits to be eligible for consideration.