Subscribe Search

Search form

Duch indicted

charging the former torture chief with crimes against humanity and grave breaches of the Geneva Conventions. " />

Duch indicted

Co-Investigating Judges at the Khmer Rouge Tribunal have issued their long-awaited closing order in the case of "Comrade Duch," charging the former torture chief with crimes against humanity and grave breaches of the Geneva Conventions.

Duch (born Kaing Guek Eav) will be the first defendant brought to trial at the ECCC.

In a redacted version of the closing order, signed Aug. 8, the Co-Investigating Judges describe Duch's role as head of S21 detention and torture center. Though not a top Khmer Rouge leader, Duch is widely regarded as one of those "most responsible" for the crimes of Democratic Kampuchea.

According to the closing order: "While Duch was not a senior leader of Democratic Kampuchea, he may be considered in the category of most responsible for crimes and serious violations committed between 17 April 1975 and 6 January 1979, due both to his formal and effective hierarchical authority and his personal participation as Deputy Secretary and then Secretary of S21."

 

The evidence Co-Investigating Judges reviewed to make their decision about Duch's indictment came from 21 interviews the court conducted with the defendant, statements from numerous witnesses and various historical documents. Unlike the four other defendants in detention, Duch has spoken openly about his responsibility for Khmer Rouge atrocities.

He first spoke out in 1999 after he was discovered living under an alias in Battambang province.

Since then, he has "cooperated willingly in the judicial investigation, neither attempting to implicate anyone who was under his orders, nor placing the blame on the upper echelons of the party alone, in order to exonerate himself," according to the closing order.

Duch has expressed remorse to S21's victims as well as the staff who worked under him, saying they were "terrorized and constantly in fear for their lives."

He also claims he could not quit his post because he and his family would have been killed.

Still, the descriptions of Duch contained in the closing order are sometimes contradictory, and don't necessarily portray a man performing his heinous duties solely out of fear.

A major point of contention: While Duch consistently told Co-Investigating Judges he did not personally torture prisoners, various witnesses have testified to the contrary. Some said they saw Duch beat and electrocute prisoners.

And Duch has admitted to ordering torture, though he told the judges he was carrying out commands from higher-ups. It will be interesting to note how prominent a role the "just following orders" defense will play in Duch's upcoming trial.

* Pictured: Duch as a young man.

 

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Thy Sovantha threatens new suit

    Social media celebrity and card-carrying CPP member Thy Sovantha yesterday said she will file a lawsuit against wildlife NGO head Suwanna Gauntlett alleging discrimination after the latter allegedly denied her access to an ecotourism program the group is launching today in Koh Kong province. The

  • Police raid Siem Reap party, arrest 10 foreigners over ‘pornographic’ images

    A group of 10 foreign tourists appeared in court today after being arrested for producing “pornographic” photos in Siem Reap town on Thursday, while dozens more were detained temporarily and let go after being lectured on their behaviour, according to authorities. A report posted to the

  • Hun Sen’s in-law removed from RCAF after cockfighting rings raided

    Thai Phany, the nephew-in-law of Prime Minister Hun Sen who is accused of running two large cockfighting rings, has been removed as a general in the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces. Phany, formerly a one-star brigadier general, was removed by royal decree on December 19, according to

  • Government approves plan to relocate Phnom Penh’s airport

    The government has signed off on a proposal to build a new airport to serve Phnom Penh and has earmarked land in Kandal province for the $1.5 billion project. A new international airport to replace the existing Phnom Penh International Airport will be constructed on partially