Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Tribunal defense head resigns

Tribunal defense head resigns

Tribunal defense head resigns

Rupert Skilbeck, Officer-in-Charge of the ECCC's Defense Support Section, stepped down last week after two years on the job. Deputy Principal Defender Richard Rogers will fill in for him while the court searches for a replacement, according to court spokesman Peter Foster.

In an interview published in today's Cambodia Daily, Skilbeck said he will be assuming a new position with the Open Society Justice Initiative in New York.

He lamented that more details hadn't been addressed before the clock started ticking on the tribunal: "We had to learn and do that process through the first six-to-nine-month's set up of the court, which wasted quite a long time."

Yet even though he is leaving just before the first trials are expected to start, Skilbeck told the Daily he is pleased with the court's progress.

"Last month we had four-day legal arguments on the definition of amnesty and double jeopardy and pardons," he said, referring to Ieng Sary's pre-trial hearing. "That is no mean feat and that is the first time that's happened in Cambodia, and to be honest in many developing countries you would never see anything like that."

*Pictured: Rupert Skilbeck.

 

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Rainsy and Sokha ‘would already be dead’: PM

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday appeared to suggest he would have assassinated opposition leaders Sam Rainsy and Kem Sokha had he known they were promising to “organise a new government” in the aftermath of the disputed 2013 national elections. In a clip from his speech

  • Massive ceremony at Angkor Wat will show ‘Cambodia not in anarchy’: PM

    Government officials, thousands of monks and Prime Minister Hun Sen himself will hold a massive prayer ceremony at Angkor Wat in early December to highlight the Kingdom’s continuing “peace, independence and political stability”, a spectacle observers said was designed to disguise the deterioration of

  • PM tells workers CNRP is to blame for any sanctions

    In a speech to workers yesterday, Prime Minister Hun Sen pinned the blame for any damage inflicted on Cambodia’s garment industry by potential economic sanctions squarely on the opposition party. “You must remember clearly that if the purchase orders are reduced, it is all

  • Ex-RFA journos accuse outlet

    Two former Radio Free Asia journalists held a press conference yesterday claiming they are each owed $28,000 by the US-funded radio broadcaster, which shuttered its in-country operations in September amid a government crackdown on independent media. The journalists, Sok Ratha and Ouk Savborey, maintained they organised