One of the best aspects of living in Phnom Penh and Asia is the availability of fresh coconuts. Research shows coconut water supports hydration, helps fight the aging process, can lower cholesterol (to the same degree as prescription drugs), improves insulin sensitivity, and lowers blood pressure.
Here are some reasons why you should be reaching for a coconut or natural coconut products:
- Increase Metabolism: Coconut oil boosts your metabolism and in turn promotes weight loss. Coconut oil may triple your calorie burn because it contains medium-chain triglycerides (MCT). The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition has published several studies that explain how MCTs burn three times more calories after a meal than long-chain triglycerides (LCT). MCTs are more easily absorbed and converted to energy quickly, helping to create an effective fat-burning metabolism.
- Cooking: Coconut oil is one of the best cooking oils, without any doubt. It has a higher smoke point than olive oil and this means you can cook with it at higher temperatures. It is harder for coconut oil to go rancid. Rancid oils cause free radical damage in the body, which is a leading cause of cancer and aging.
- Bug Killer: Coconut contains antiviral and antimicrobial substances. They have fat called lauric acid that gets formed into monolaurin, which is a bug killer. A fantastic feature when living in a country like Cambodia.
- Improve health: Coconuts are highly nutritious and rich in fibre, vitamins and minerals. Furthermore, coconut oil helps your body absorb nutrients more effectively, such as Vitamin E
- Fight the aging process: Coconuts contain a wealth of micronutrients such as inorganic ions and vitamins that enhance the natural antioxidant system of the body. The high levels of antioxidants may be its greatest benefit.
- Hydration: Coconut water is famous for containing the electrolytes potassium and sodium, which are important for keeping the body properly hydrated.
- Fight inflammation: Inflammation is now identified, as being one of the major factors relating to illness. Coconut water provides a good source of vitamin C, magnesium, calcium, B vitamins, arginine, alanine, lysine, glutamic acid, and other micronutrients and enzymes that are anti-inflammatory.
KiwiFitness Health Tip: Coconut water is a great alternative to dairy. Why not try using coconut water on your cereal in the morning and when making vegetable shakes?
Phil kelly is the founder and master trainer at body expert systems. You can follow his advice or contact him on his Facebook page.