Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - ‘Scary stairs’ story rebutted

‘Scary stairs’ story rebutted

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Tourists at Angkor Wat in Siem Reap province climb and descend temple stairs in June. Hong Menea

‘Scary stairs’ story rebutted

The Authority for the Protection and Management of Angkor and the Region of Siem Reap (APSARA) – the semi-private enterprise that oversees and collects ticket fees for the Angkor temple complex – has issued a four-page rebuttal to a CNN article that included a 77-word description of Angkor’s south steps in an article listing “The world’s scariest stairs”.

The article, published online, is a light-hearted list of 13 tourist sites around the world with particularly steep, long or otherwise heart-quickening stairways with thrills, the article says, that “can leave just as much of an impact on your memory as the places they lead you”.

APSARA, however, took issue with possible “confusion” arising from the article, and insisted that Angkor’s historic stone south steps had been closed indefinitely and that a wooden staircase had been built over them to ease the climb.

In its description of Angkor’s south stairs, the CNN article tells readers “there’s no shame in bowing down on your hands and knees or pulling yourself up with the provided ropes to scale the nearly 70 percent inclined stairs of Angkor Wat’s uppermost temples”.

“Guides claim the steps were made to be so steep to remind people that heaven was hard to reach – though you might make the same argument about Earth as you try not to tumble on the way down,” it adds.

But according to APSARA, a photo of the stairs used in an accompanying slideshow was outdated, as it did not depict the new 47-step, 1.2-metre-wide wooden staircase – complete with railings – that was installed five years ago.

“The news of CNN on Angkor Wat’s stairs is not true, and it is not checked for balance. Local and international visitors who visit Cambodia could be a witness” to the new stairs’ safety, the rebuttal reads.

APSARA spokesperson Chau Sun Kerya would not say that the body was calling for the article’s removal, but that the clarification was just to avoid visitors being confused.

“So far, there are no tourists injured. The picture that CNN used is more than five years old,” she said. “Now all tourists and guides are happy with our new stairs, with their safety and ease, and we have our guards tell and look after the tourists to be careful.”

A request for comment to CNN had not been returned as of press time.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Breaking: PM says prominent human rights NGO ‘must close’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed the Interior Ministry to investigate the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) and potentially close it “because they follow foreigners”, appearing to link the rights group to the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party's purported “revolution”. The CNRP - the

  • Rainsy and Sokha ‘would already be dead’: PM

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday appeared to suggest he would have assassinated opposition leaders Sam Rainsy and Kem Sokha had he known they were promising to “organise a new government” in the aftermath of the disputed 2013 national elections. In a clip from his speech

  • Massive ceremony at Angkor Wat will show ‘Cambodia not in anarchy’: PM

    Government officials, thousands of monks and Prime Minister Hun Sen himself will hold a massive prayer ceremony at Angkor Wat in early December to highlight the Kingdom’s continuing “peace, independence and political stability”, a spectacle observers said was designed to disguise the deterioration of

  • PM tells workers CNRP is to blame for any sanctions

    In a speech to workers yesterday, Prime Minister Hun Sen pinned the blame for any damage inflicted on Cambodia’s garment industry by potential economic sanctions squarely on the opposition party. “You must remember clearly that if the purchase orders are reduced, it is all