Subscribe Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Acid attack victim loses baby

Acid attack victim loses baby

The victim of an acid attack
The victim of an acid attack has her wounds inspected before receiving treatment at Kiri Vong District Referral Hospital in Takeo late last month. PHOTO SUPPLIED

Acid attack victim loses baby

A woman doused with acid while feeding her toddler suffered a miscarriage following the horrific attack, her husband has revealed, as the parents of the attackers are summoned for questioning.

Moung Srey Mom, 31, has undergone two operations since the attack last month in Takeo province’s Kiri Vong district, which left her with burns to 44 per cent of her body and saw her 2-year-old daughter Sok Met Molita splashed with acid.

The alleged attackers, Beng Meas, 28, and his sister, Beng Leakhena, 22, who have fled to Vietnam, were also vendors at Tunlob market, where Srey Mom and her husband, Luy Sovannaroth, 31, own a grocery store.

Sovannaroth, who was slightly injured during a scuffle with Meas, said his wife was two months pregnant when she was doused, allegedly by Leakhena, and had subsequently lost the baby.

He called for the alleged attackers’ parents to be arrested, accusing them of ordering the attack because they were jealous of his store’s success.

Takeo provincial deputy prosecutor Tin Sochetra said he would question the parents before deciding whether to arrest them.

Meanwhile, the victim’s family has lodged a court complaint, asking for $500,000 in compensation and demanding that those responsible be punished.

“We want the court to hurry and take action to arrest the suspects as soon as possible,” said Luch Thorn, the victim’s uncle, who appealed for Prime Minister Hun Sen to intervene.

Kiri Vong district police chief Yuk Sarath said officers were powerless to catch the fugitives in Vietnam. He said photos of the attackers had been sent to Vietnamese authorities, but his office has yet to receive a reply.

Erin Bourgois, project manager for the Cambodian Acid Survivors Charity (CASC), which helped care for the victims, said Srey Mom received her second skin graft yesterday and was recovering well given the extent of her injuries.

Met Molita’s burns didn’t require surgery, she added.
According to CASC, there have been five acid attacks this year with six survivors.

ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY SHAUN TURTON

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Thy Sovantha threatens new suit

    Social media celebrity and card-carrying CPP member Thy Sovantha yesterday said she will file a lawsuit against wildlife NGO head Suwanna Gauntlett alleging discrimination after the latter allegedly denied her access to an ecotourism program the group is launching today in Koh Kong province. The

  • Police raid Siem Reap party, arrest 10 foreigners over ‘pornographic’ images

    A group of 10 foreign tourists appeared in court today after being arrested for producing “pornographic” photos in Siem Reap town on Thursday, while dozens more were detained temporarily and let go after being lectured on their behaviour, according to authorities. A report posted to the

  • Hun Sen’s in-law removed from RCAF after cockfighting rings raided

    Thai Phany, the nephew-in-law of Prime Minister Hun Sen who is accused of running two large cockfighting rings, has been removed as a general in the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces. Phany, formerly a one-star brigadier general, was removed by royal decree on December 19, according to

  • Government approves plan to relocate Phnom Penh’s airport

    The government has signed off on a proposal to build a new airport to serve Phnom Penh and has earmarked land in Kandal province for the $1.5 billion project. A new international airport to replace the existing Phnom Penh International Airport will be constructed on partially