Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Activist ‘threatened’ for tip over land clearing

Activist ‘threatened’ for tip over land clearing

A bulldozer was seized for clearing protected forest land on Saturday in Stung Treng province. Photo supplied
A bulldozer was seized for clearing protected forest land on Saturday in Stung Treng province. Photo supplied

Activist ‘threatened’ for tip over land clearing

An ethnic Kuoy activist in Stung Treng province says his life was threatened after he tipped authorities off to an alleged land grab on Saturday involving two suspects who remain at large.

On Saturday, Thala Barivat District Police responded to a tip from local activist Uk Mao, 53, and stopped an area landowner and a bulldozer driver as they allegedly cleared more than 1 hectare of protected forest in Sam Ang commune.

According to provincial Agriculture Department Director Lieng Seng, the raid only resulted in the seizure of the bulldozer, as the suspects had already fled.

The provincial Forestry Administration director, Meas Sophum, said his office was pursuing the case, without giving further details.

Mao said he received a threatening phone call on Saturday evening. “You will be beheaded soon,” the caller allegedly told him. “How dare you report to the authorities? . . . I know your house,” Mao recalled the anonymous caller saying.

“They were furious with me because I tipped off the authorities to halt and seize the machinery,” he said, explaining that the accused clearer is a large-scale local landowner. Fearing for his safety, Mao said he requested the intervention of the commune police and rights group Adhoc.

This is not the first time Mao said he had received threats for bringing attention to land grabs. In January, he reported being threatened with prosecution for defamation by commune authorities after he notified them that state and community land was being cleared and sold off.

Thala Barivat District Governor Thong Srorn said he was unaware of the threats against Mao.

“Clearing is illegal and they came in an anarchic way,” said Srorn. “After receiving the information, we just implemented the law to arrest [the suspects],” adding that authorities continued to search for the two men.

Hou Sam Ol, Adhoc’s Stung Treng provincial coordinator, called on higher authorities to investigate the case.

“It is like timber hauling cases – mostly only the evidence is seized while the criminals and drivers are rarely captured,” he said, adding that Mao should be protected by local police.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Rainsy and Sokha ‘would already be dead’: PM

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday appeared to suggest he would have assassinated opposition leaders Sam Rainsy and Kem Sokha had he known they were promising to “organise a new government” in the aftermath of the disputed 2013 national elections. In a clip from his speech

  • Massive ceremony at Angkor Wat will show ‘Cambodia not in anarchy’: PM

    Government officials, thousands of monks and Prime Minister Hun Sen himself will hold a massive prayer ceremony at Angkor Wat in early December to highlight the Kingdom’s continuing “peace, independence and political stability”, a spectacle observers said was designed to disguise the deterioration of

  • PM tells workers CNRP is to blame for any sanctions

    In a speech to workers yesterday, Prime Minister Hun Sen pinned the blame for any damage inflicted on Cambodia’s garment industry by potential economic sanctions squarely on the opposition party. “You must remember clearly that if the purchase orders are reduced, it is all

  • Ex-RFA journos accuse outlet

    Two former Radio Free Asia journalists held a press conference yesterday claiming they are each owed $28,000 by the US-funded radio broadcaster, which shuttered its in-country operations in September amid a government crackdown on independent media. The journalists, Sok Ratha and Ouk Savborey, maintained they organised