Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ammonia leak causes faintings

Firefighters work at the scene of an ammonia leak in Phnom Penh's Meanchey district yesterday.
Firefighters work at the scene of an ammonia leak in Phnom Penh's Meanchey district yesterday. Pha Lina

Ammonia leak causes faintings

At least seven people – three bystanders and four firemen – fainted on Monday due to an ammonia leak in an ice factory in Meanchey district, leading authorities to arrest the factory owner and evacuate workers, law enforcement said.

Meanchey district deputy police chief Huor Meng Vang said the leakage was caused by a careless welder who repaired a factory pipe. “The welder fused the old pipe while the gas was running, and the explosion created a lot of holes in the pipe,” Van said.

Both the factory owner and the welder were brought in for interrogation, and the case will be sent to court, he added.

Prom Yorn, director of the Phnom Penh Municipal Fire Department, said the situation was difficult for fire fighters to remedy because the ammonia continued to cause shortness of breath and fainting.

“It’s difficult because the gas spreads out and it is hard to contain,” Yorn said. “We cannot control it, because the holes are big.”It took four hours to get the situation under control, he added.

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Phnom Penh eats: Where shaved ice meets a sugar rush

Shaved ice, fruit toppings, and a squirt of cream – these are the ingredients to make a perfect bingsu.

Temple exploring in Cambodia without the crowds

Those who make the journey almost 100km from Preah Vihear province’s capital Tbaeng Meanchey to the 11th century remains of Preah Khan Kompong Svay will be richly rewarded.