Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Anti-tank mine kills farmer

Anti-tank mine kills farmer

Anti-tank mine kills farmer

A 51-year-old farmer was killed when an unexploded piece of ordnance was set off while he was ploughing his farmland in Banteay Meanchey province on Saturday.

Mey Saman, chief of Malai district police, said yesterday that the victim was killed immediately when his tractor ran over the anti-tank mine in his plantation.

“His tractor was completely damaged because of the explosion of the anti-tank mine, which was left after the war,” Mey Saman said.

Siem Hak, the deputy director for Cambodian Mine Action Centre’s Demining Unit 1 in Banteay Meanchey province, confirmed that this is the first death caused by an anti-tank mine explosion in the province this year.

He added that on February 24 a man was seriously injured and his tractor destroyed by a similar situation with a UXO explosion, but he survived the blast.

A 52-year-old farmer was killed on Sunday in Battambang province’s Samlot district, when he stepped on an anti-personnel mine while he and his wife were clearing land in their corn and cassava fields.

Last year Cambodia recorded its first annual increase in casualties resulting from UXOs since 2005.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Breaking: PM says prominent human rights NGO ‘must close’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed the Interior Ministry to investigate the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) and potentially close it “because they follow foreigners”, appearing to link the rights group to the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party's purported “revolution”. The CNRP - the

  • Government approves plan to relocate Phnom Penh’s airport

    The government has signed off on a proposal to build a new airport to serve Phnom Penh and has earmarked land in Kandal province for the $1.5 billion project. A new international airport to replace the existing Phnom Penh International Airport will be constructed on partially

  • American convicted of raping boy, 10, in Siem Reap

    A 79-year-old American man was sentenced to one year in prison for raping a 10-year-old boy by Siem Reap Provincial Court on Wednesday. John Paul Zollbrecht, of Washington state, was sentenced to one year in prison while a Cambodian man who helped facilitate the abuse, 23

  • PM derides talk of government affairs, hinting phone records could reveal all

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday night told Cambodia’s starlets to either name their high-profile government lovers or keep quiet, telling a room full of journalists he did not want to be tarred with the same brush. Addressing more than 3,400 people at the second