Photo by: AFP
Villagers attack three alleged robbers in Dangkor district on Thursday. Two died in the attack, while the survivor is now set to face a robbery charge.
THE sole survivor of a brutal mob attack on three suspected robbers that took place late last week in Dangkor district is expected to be transferred from police custody to Prey Sar prison early this week, and police have filed a complaint against him at Phnom Penh Municipal Court, the district’s deputy police chief said Sunday.
“We have filed the records to Municipal Court prosecutor Plang Sophal against the living robber. The primary charge is robbery,” Choup Sokheng said. Plang Sophal could not be reached Sunday.
A group of 400 villagers on Thursday evening attacked three men with sticks, knives, stones and poles after they allegedly stole a motorbike from two young women in Kandal province’s Ang Snuol district, Dangkor district police chief Born Sam Ath said.
Two of the men died at the scene of the attack, but 27-year-old Sok Siet, the subject of the complaint, survived.
Chan Soveth, a senior investigator for the rights group Adhoc, said Sunday that such vigilante killings used to be common, but had tapered off in recent years.
“It was very common nationwide before 2006, but it had decreased since then. Now we are concerned that more mob killings will occur,” he said.