Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Bavet protest: No-strike bonus offer backfires

Bavet protest: No-strike bonus offer backfires

A union-estimated 20,000 garment workers in Svay Rieng province are now on strike after learning one factory in their industrial zone distributed a bonus to workers for not protesting in mass garment sector demonstrations during the first week of January.

Workers from about 30 factories in the Manhattan Special Economic Zone in Svay Rieng’s Bavet town have joined the protest, which began following Khmer New Year, after one company, A+J Factory, gave its worker a $50 no-strike bonus, the Collective Union of Movement of Workers (CUMW) claimed.

The Garment Manufacturers Association in Cambodia released a letter on Friday accusing CUMW of inciting workers to strike, but it denies the accusation.

“If workers from a factory receive a bonus or benefit, then the other workers will demand their company do so too,” said Kat Lot, union vice president. Workers said they will strike until they get the bonus.

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Phnom Penh eats: Homegrown veggies at Bayon Beoung Snor

​Nestled along National Road 1, Bayon Beoung Snor is a farm-cum-restaurant. The team grows their own vegetables, which they then use to whip up traditional Khmer food.

Bill Clough reflects on The Phnom Penh Post's 25 year history

The Post's publisher Bill Clough, under whose leadership the publication went from a fortnightly to a daily one, discusses his investment in Cambodia, his vision for the paper in an increasingly digital age,

People search for their names on the voter lists at a polling station in Kampong Cham’s Veal Vong commune earlier this month.

Four years ago, when the opposition snatched Kampong Cham away from the ruling party in 2013 national elections, it hinted at a deeper shift taking

Comfrel Executive Director Koul Panha speaks to the press at a meeting yesterday in Phnom Penh.

As the National Election Committee launched into the recount proc