Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Border markers cause ‘suspicion’: CWC head

Border markers cause ‘suspicion’: CWC head

Border markers cause ‘suspicion’: CWC head

THE decision to block a Cambodia Watchdog Council (CWC) delegation from viewing contested border posts in Takeo province on Sunday is evidence that the government has something to hide, Rong Chhun, the council’s president, said in a statement issued Monday.

“The prevention caused even more suspicion about what was behind the implanting of the border stakes. The Cambodian authorities have tried very hard to ban lawmakers and civil society representatives from visiting the stakes to find out the truth,” read the statement.

On Sunday, about 10 members of the CWC were prevented from inspecting a border post in Borei Cholsa district’s Chey Chauk commune, that some villagers have claimed impinges on their farmland.

Var Kimhong, senior minister in charge of border affairs, dismissed Rong Chhun’s claim on Tuesday, saying there was nothing suspicious about any of the posts planted along Cambodia’s border with Vietnam.

“The government prevented them from seeing the place because it did not want to see the act of thoughtless uprooting of border stakes again, such as was the case in Svay Rieng province,” he said, referring to a stunt last October that ultimately led to a two-year prison sentence for opposition leader Sam Rainsy, who is now in France.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Breaking: PM says prominent human rights NGO ‘must close’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed the Interior Ministry to investigate the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) and potentially close it “because they follow foreigners”, appearing to link the rights group to the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party's purported “revolution”. The CNRP - the

  • Government approves plan to relocate Phnom Penh’s airport

    The government has signed off on a proposal to build a new airport to serve Phnom Penh and has earmarked land in Kandal province for the $1.5 billion project. A new international airport to replace the existing Phnom Penh International Airport will be constructed on partially

  • American convicted of raping boy, 10, in Siem Reap

    A 79-year-old American man was sentenced to one year in prison for raping a 10-year-old boy by Siem Reap Provincial Court on Wednesday. John Paul Zollbrecht, of Washington state, was sentenced to one year in prison while a Cambodian man who helped facilitate the abuse, 23

  • Cambodia: From pet project to problem child

    As international condemnation began to pour in earlier this month lambasting the Supreme Court’s decision to dissolve the country’s largest opposition party, ruling party elites were quick to ask: Why us? In an op-ed published by the Khmer Times, ruling Cambodian People’s