Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Boys’ claims put alleged pedophile behind bars

Boys’ claims put alleged pedophile behind bars

Boys’ claims put alleged pedophile behind bars

120523_03b

Suspected pedophile Jacques Phillippe Alberitini arrives at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday. Photograph: Pha Lina/Phnom Penh Post

A French national with an arrest record spanning 16 years and three countries – including two arrests in Cambodia – was sent to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday over the alleged abuse of three boys in Daun Penh district’s Chey Chumneah commune, police said.

Lieutenant-Colonel Kea Thea, chief of the Anti-Human Trafficking and Juvenile Protection Police, said Jacques Phillippe Alberitini, 70, had been arrested on Monday after complaints by three boys ranging in age from nine to 13.

“Three boys have filed complaints to the police that they were sexually abused by him,” Kea Thea said.

Alberitini is charged with the purchase of child prostitution and indecent acts against minors.

Samleang Seila, country director of the NGO Action Pour Les Enfants, said Alberitini had invited the boys, who worked as scavengers, into his house to collect cans, forced them to undress and abused them.

Alberitini was arrested in 2004 and 2008 on abuse charges, but later released.

He had also been arrested in 1998 and 2000 for abusing boys in Thailand’s Chonburi province and Pattaya, but was released after the complaints were dropped.

He had been questioned in Paris three times over abuses victims said were committed between 1979 and 1981, but not charged because of the crimes’ statute of limitation.

Samleang Seila said Alberitini had been able to evade authorities for so long because of his familiarity with Cambodian procedures.

“He’s been very slippery with the justice system,” he said, giving the example of how three of the four victims dropped their complaints in 2004.

One of the boys, now 18, revealed that Alberitini had adopted him.

To contact the reporter on this story: Buth Reaksmey Kongkea at [email protected]

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Breaking: PM says prominent human rights NGO ‘must close’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed the Interior Ministry to investigate the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) and potentially close it “because they follow foreigners”, appearing to link the rights group to the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party's purported “revolution”. The CNRP - the

  • Rainsy and Sokha ‘would already be dead’: PM

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday appeared to suggest he would have assassinated opposition leaders Sam Rainsy and Kem Sokha had he known they were promising to “organise a new government” in the aftermath of the disputed 2013 national elections. In a clip from his speech

  • Massive ceremony at Angkor Wat will show ‘Cambodia not in anarchy’: PM

    Government officials, thousands of monks and Prime Minister Hun Sen himself will hold a massive prayer ceremony at Angkor Wat in early December to highlight the Kingdom’s continuing “peace, independence and political stability”, a spectacle observers said was designed to disguise the deterioration of

  • PM tells workers CNRP is to blame for any sanctions

    In a speech to workers yesterday, Prime Minister Hun Sen pinned the blame for any damage inflicted on Cambodia’s garment industry by potential economic sanctions squarely on the opposition party. “You must remember clearly that if the purchase orders are reduced, it is all