Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Buckle up for traffic snarls

Buckle up for traffic snarls

Buckle up for traffic snarls

Two major boulevards and six arterial side streets will be closed starting as early as tomorrow, and more than 10,000 security forces will be deployed for the duration of the ASEAN Summit, said city hall officials.

In addition to Norodom and Russian boulevards, six roads extending from Russian Boulevard will be blocked off, according to a Phnom Penh Municipality statement dated Thursday. Venders and shop owners working on the main boulevards are asked to suspend business from November 13 to the 23.

“City Hall expects and believes that the travelers and the sellers along Russian and Norodom Blvd forgive and understand in order to cooperate with this,” the order continues.

While the summit runs from the 15th to the 20th, the extended security measures are needed to accommodate delegates who will begin arriving as early as Tuesday, said the National Police spokesman, Lieutenant General Kirth Chantharith.



More than 10,000 security personnel including members of the police, military police, Prime Minister’s Bodyguard Unit, and Royal Cambodian Armed Forces, will be posted during the summit, Chantharith said yesterday.

“We deployed some forces already many days ago and more forces will be posted on November 13 when the delegates start coming,” he said. “Authorities will be deployed day and night.”

Chantharith urged understanding over the messy traffic situation expected to ensue.

“We know the traffic will be difficult for the people, that is why City Hall informed them in advance – to make them cooperate and forgive this situation,” he said.

Despite the pleas for sympathy, however, the announcement was met with no small amount of grumbling – especially from affected shop owners.

“It will affect my income, but I do not have a choice,” said Channy, who owns a plant shop located on Russian Boulevard and was told by police she would have to shutter her business for 10 days.

To contact the reporter on this story: Mom Kunthear at [email protected]

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Breaking: PM says prominent human rights NGO ‘must close’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed the Interior Ministry to investigate the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) and potentially close it “because they follow foreigners”, appearing to link the rights group to the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party's purported “revolution”. The CNRP - the

  • Government approves plan to relocate Phnom Penh’s airport

    The government has signed off on a proposal to build a new airport to serve Phnom Penh and has earmarked land in Kandal province for the $1.5 billion project. A new international airport to replace the existing Phnom Penh International Airport will be constructed on partially

  • American convicted of raping boy, 10, in Siem Reap

    A 79-year-old American man was sentenced to one year in prison for raping a 10-year-old boy by Siem Reap Provincial Court on Wednesday. John Paul Zollbrecht, of Washington state, was sentenced to one year in prison while a Cambodian man who helped facilitate the abuse, 23

  • Cambodia: From pet project to problem child

    As international condemnation began to pour in earlier this month lambasting the Supreme Court’s decision to dissolve the country’s largest opposition party, ruling party elites were quick to ask: Why us? In an op-ed published by the Khmer Times, ruling Cambodian People’s