Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Builder crushed in accident at work site

Builder crushed in accident at work site

A construction worker died after being crushed by the scoop of an excavator while he was building a wall in Koh Kong province on Tuesday, according to police.

The dead man, Cheam Kosal, 34, worked for the Tat Khun Kith Company, which was doing work for a local firm in Mondol Seima district’s Cham Yeam village, deputy police chief Chhi Chhai said.

“When I arrived at the construction site, we saw the victim’s body jammed against the wall with the excavator’s scoop pressing on it,” he said.

The driver, Koeun Bunthoeun, 31, was interrogated by police but allowed to return to work temporarily yesterday.

Authorities took this decision after the deceased’s employer, Sear Kheang, brother-in-law of a CPP senator, wrote to them saying there had been no attempt to kill the victim, according to deputy director of Koh Kong’s Provincial Serious Crimes Office, Lay Tiro.

“It is a work accident and not a murder case,” Tiro said. “So we decided to let him go back and work.”

He added that Sear Kheang took responsibility for compensating the victim’s family and for funeral expenses.

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Bodies of Cambodian peacekeepers returned to Kingdom

The bodies of four Cambodian peacekeepers killed by a Christian militia in Central African Republic were repatriated to the Kingdom and honoured in an airport ceremony on May 21.

Phnom Penh eats: Ptas Nak Battambang

As the name suggests, Ptsa Nak Battambang – which in English means Battambang's house – is the right place for those who want to try some of the province's typical dishes in Phnom Penh.

People drive past an advertisement for beer.

Prime Minister Hun Sen issued a directive on Friday banning the sale and consumption of alcohol on June 3 and 4 to prevent unrest during commune el

Military police stand guard outside a polling station that was allegedly prematurely closed to eligible voters during the 2013 general election in Kandal province. Photo supplied

The Ministry of Defence on Friday lashed out at civil society and election monitoring groups, claiming a