Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Cambodians donate $1.32 million to China quake victims

Cambodians donate $1.32 million to China quake victims

Donations from Cambodia

to aid victims of the devastating May 12 earthquake in China totaled $1.32 million by May

27, show figures compiled by the Post.

The total included $1.16 million given by business or

cultural groups, including the China,

Hong Kong and Macao Expatriate and Business Association of Cambodia, the

Khmer-Chinese Association and the Foundation for Promoting Chinese Culture in Cambodia.

The figure also includes $100,000 from the government,

$50,000 from former king Norodom Sihanouk and $10,000 from the Cambodian Red

Cross.

Another $60,000 in donations was collected by

Chinese-language newspaper Commercial

News, said an editor at the daily.

Expressing gratitude for the donations of behalf of the

people and government of China,

a third secretary at the Chinese embassy, Qian Hai, said it was very kind of Cambodia as an

underdeveloped country to provide assistance.

The donations were a reflection of the long and cooperative

relationship between the two countries, Qian told the Post on May 27.

He predicted that the assistance would further strengthen

bilateral cooperation and lead to increased Chinese investment.

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Phnom Penh eats: Homegrown veggies at Bayon Beoung Snor

​Nestled along National Road 1, Bayon Beoung Snor is a farm-cum-restaurant. The team grows their own vegetables, which they then use to whip up traditional Khmer food.

Bill Clough reflects on The Phnom Penh Post's 25 year history

The Post's publisher Bill Clough, under whose leadership the publication went from a fortnightly to a daily one, discusses his investment in Cambodia, his vision for the paper in an increasingly digital age,

People search for their names on the voter lists at a polling station in Kampong Cham’s Veal Vong commune earlier this month.

Four years ago, when the opposition snatched Kampong Cham away from the ruling party in 2013 national elections, it hinted at a deeper shift taking

Comfrel Executive Director Koul Panha speaks to the press at a meeting yesterday in Phnom Penh.

As the National Election Committee launched into the recount proc