Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Capital fire extinguished

Capital fire extinguished

A FIRE in Phnom Penh’s Prampi Makara district on Wednesday caused US$7,000 worth of damage in one apartment before it was extinguished by municipal firefighters.

Net Vantha, director of the Phnom Penh Municipal Fire Department, said the fire had been caused by a light that was left on by the apartment’s owner.

“The fire was caused by a faulty electric light,” he said, adding that four fire engines arrived at the scene to douse the small blaze.

“It’s good for everyone that we got there so quickly and stopped [the fire] on time, because this apartment is connected to other flats, and it could have spread. We had cooperation from the residents and authorities,” he said.

Lon Sinath, the 45-year-old apartment owner, expressed remorse for having left the light on. “I apologise to my neighbours for putting them through this. This was an accident. I don’t know exactly how or why the fire happened because I wasn’t home at the time,” he said. “I don’t have anything left because of this fire. The only thing left is the apartment itself.”

He estimated that the damage totalled $7,000.

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

ACLEDA’s boss on how tech is changing financial services

In today’s world of fast-changing technology, Cambodia is seeing increasing innovation in financial services.

ACLEDA President In Channy on the key to the bank’s success

Post Khmer Editor-in-Chief Kay Kimsong sat down with Dr In Channy, President and Group Managing Director of ACLEDA Bank Plc, to explore the main principle guiding Cambodia’s biggest bank.

A taste of Phnom Penh's first container night market

At the launch of Phnom Penh's newest market, The Post spoke to customers and stallholders about what the hub of bars, food stalls, shops and live music will add to the city's nightlife.