The Court of Appeal yesterday finished an investigation into the case of an Australian businessman convicted last year of raping a 5-year-old girl.
In August 2011, Giuseppe Nicolosi, 57, was convicted of rape by the Siem Reap provincial court and sentenced to eight years in jail. The Court of Appeal earlier this year ordered a reinvestigation, citing insufficient proof and noting the victim had reversed her answers. Presiding judge Phlang Samnang said yesterday a rehearing had been set for December 20.
“I have already met and questioned directly the victim and her parents as well as other related witnesses in Siem Reap province. The final investigation and questioning about this case is completely finished,” he said.
Nicolosi has maintained his innocence, telling the Post in August: “The victim said that I did not do it [have sex with her] and the victim’s parent also said I did not do it.”
Action pour les Enfants country director Seila Samleang said that it was not unusual for victims to reverse their answers, especially after the families received compensation from the guilty party.