Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Cintri rewarded with contract extensions

Cintri rewarded with contract extensions

People work past a mound of garbage at Phnom Penh’s Phsar Kabko market in 2014.
People work past a mound of garbage at Phnom Penh’s Phsar Kabko market in 2014. Eli Meixler

Cintri rewarded with contract extensions

After years of public complaints and government threats to cancel its contract, Phnom Penh’s sole garbage collector appears to be cleaning up its act.

In May, Cintri extended contracts for the four districts it has been responsible for since its main contract was signed in 2002 – Daun Penh, Prampi Makara, Chamkarmon and Toul Kork – with stipulations the company stick to a cleaning schedule, and assign a certain number of workers and trucks to each area.

With the program considered a success thus far, Cintri was given four new districts last week – Russey Keo, Por Sen Chey, Meanchey and Sen Sok – with four more to potentially come in September, according to City Hall spokesman Mean Chanyada.

“The agreements give us details about what the roles of the districts are and what the company is doing, so that prevents blaming one another for failures,” Chanyada said.

“The districts can [now] disseminate the information about the rubbish collecting program. This is a big issue.”

The documents, however, do not include contract timeframes, nor would officials provide details of potential consequences should Cintri fail to live up to its pledges.

In addition, the governor said in a statement the city would cover losses Cintri might incur from households not paying, provided “the service is good and the capital is trash-free”.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Breaking: PM says prominent human rights NGO ‘must close’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed the Interior Ministry to investigate the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) and potentially close it “because they follow foreigners”, appearing to link the rights group to the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party's purported “revolution”. The CNRP - the

  • Government approves plan to relocate Phnom Penh’s airport

    The government has signed off on a proposal to build a new airport to serve Phnom Penh and has earmarked land in Kandal province for the $1.5 billion project. A new international airport to replace the existing Phnom Penh International Airport will be constructed on partially

  • American convicted of raping boy, 10, in Siem Reap

    A 79-year-old American man was sentenced to one year in prison for raping a 10-year-old boy by Siem Reap Provincial Court on Wednesday. John Paul Zollbrecht, of Washington state, was sentenced to one year in prison while a Cambodian man who helped facilitate the abuse, 23

  • PM derides talk of government affairs, hinting phone records could reveal all

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday night told Cambodia’s starlets to either name their high-profile government lovers or keep quiet, telling a room full of journalists he did not want to be tarred with the same brush. Addressing more than 3,400 people at the second