CITY Hall has rejected a request to hold a march today to draw attention to land disputes, the UN human rights office said.
On Sunday, Sen Sok Heng, who represents communities affected by land disputes across the country, said around 300 representatives planned to march from Wat Phnom to Prime Minister Hun Sen’s residence in order to deliver a petition bearing the thumbprints of 60,000 villagers affected by land disputes.
But in a statement issued Monday, the local office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights said permission for the march had been denied “without any reasons or justification”.
“We strongly regret the negative response by the Municipality,” UNOHCHR country representative Christophe Peschoux said in the statement.
“It is regrettable that the Municipality did not provide reasons for prohibiting the march or provide alternatives to the group.”
Phnom Penh Governor Kep Chuktema could not be reached for comment Monday. Deputy Governor Mann Chhoeun said he was not aware of the march and referred questions to Nuon Someth, chief of the Municipal Cabinet, who also could not be contacted.