Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - City Hall threatens legal action over Boeung Trabek land grabs

City Hall threatens legal action over Boeung Trabek land grabs

City Hall threatens legal action over Boeung Trabek land grabs

Phnom Penh Municipality announced on Monday via its website that land reclaiming and grabbing in the Boeung Trabek lake area was prohibited, and that the city’s court system would punish any known perpetrators.

“In [the] case of illegal land grabbing, land reclaiming or any illegal construction into this reservoir system, Phnom Penh Capital Hall will take such a case as ... violence into the state’s public property and the case would be brought to the court in accordance with Articles 259 and 260 of [the] Land Law (offenders will be fined or imprisoned),” the statement read.

The statement added that perpetrators would have to move away from the area without any rights or claims for personal construction expenses.

The municipality statement followed a protest outside Prime Minister Hun Sen’s Phnom Penh home last week, during which Boeung Trabek residents alleged the loss of farmland due to a drainage project.

Residents said that 153 families were displaced as a result of ongoing canal construction.

Many have also expressed concern that the land would be given to a private developer, rather than being used for a drainage project.

“I want everything to be transparent,” said Oen Sothon, a village representative from Chamkarmon district’s Phsar Doeum Thkov commune. “I am waiting to see whether they dare to damage these houses or not.”

Kep Chuktema, governor of Phnom Penh, could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Last week, Chamkarmon district governor Lo Yuy said “If I fill the lake with sand and keep the land titles for government officials, please let lightning strike me”.

Ouch Leng, land programme officer at rights group Adhoc, said even if the Boeung Trabek lakeside was state land, the residents “should have some compensation because they’ve lived there [for] a long time”.

In a related case, about 500 families from Pshar Doeum Thkov in September were to dismantle their homes for the reservoir system refurbishment, though the deadline for their eviction passed without incident.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Breaking: PM says prominent human rights NGO ‘must close’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed the Interior Ministry to investigate the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) and potentially close it “because they follow foreigners”, appearing to link the rights group to the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party's purported “revolution”. The CNRP - the

  • Government approves plan to relocate Phnom Penh’s airport

    The government has signed off on a proposal to build a new airport to serve Phnom Penh and has earmarked land in Kandal province for the $1.5 billion project. A new international airport to replace the existing Phnom Penh International Airport will be constructed on partially

  • American convicted of raping boy, 10, in Siem Reap

    A 79-year-old American man was sentenced to one year in prison for raping a 10-year-old boy by Siem Reap Provincial Court on Wednesday. John Paul Zollbrecht, of Washington state, was sentenced to one year in prison while a Cambodian man who helped facilitate the abuse, 23

  • Cambodia: From pet project to problem child

    As international condemnation began to pour in earlier this month lambasting the Supreme Court’s decision to dissolve the country’s largest opposition party, ruling party elites were quick to ask: Why us? In an op-ed published by the Khmer Times, ruling Cambodian People’s