Cambodian News Channel’s (CNC) deputy director appeared at Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday to be questioned for allegedly putting a gun to the head of the planning and assignment editor of sister news channels CTN and MyTV last month.
The stations all fall under the operation of the Cambodian Broadcasting Corporation, which is owned by Kith Meng’s Royal Group.
Keo Socheat, the court’s deputy prosecutor, said Huy Vannak, the deputy director, had shown up but that the prosecutor postponed his questioning due to time constraints.
Ros Dina, the plaintiff, had been questioned on Monday, according to Kea Eav, his defence lawyer.
“My client sued [Vannak] with two accusations – insulting defamation and attempted intentional murder. He has demanded 200 million riel ($50,000) in compensation.”
He declined to comment further, while Dina, who is also an employee of the Post, referred questions to his lawyer.
According to Dina’s lawsuit, he was walking out of a bathroom at the stations’ shared offices on June 27 when Vannak began shouting at him in relation to a dispute between him and one of Dina’s staff.
“I do not know what he was angry with me about. But he was strongly shouting at me, very angrily and pointing his finger into my head.… He insulted me and threatened to kill me,” the complaint says.
“When I said, ‘Do not point your finger on my head or be careful, I will point my finger into your head too’, he continued insulting me and pulled a pistol from his jacket, pointed it at my head and threatened to kill me.”
Neither Vannak nor his lawyer could be reached for comment yesterday.