Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - CNRP request rejected, again

CNRP request rejected, again

Cambodia National Rescue Party supporters wave flags as they attend a campaign event at Phnom Penh’s Freedom Park during the lead-up to the national election last year
Cambodia National Rescue Party supporters wave flags as they attend a campaign event at Phnom Penh’s Freedom Park during the lead-up to the national election last year. Heng Chivoan

CNRP request rejected, again

Phnom Penh City Hall once again rejected the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party’s bid to hold campaigns for the coming council elections in Freedom Park yesterday but said the final decision is beyond its reach.

After its first request was rejected on Tuesday for going against a National Election Committee (NEC) order banning permanent campaign bases, the CNRP filed a second bid with City Hall yesterday.

In the new letter, the CNRP asked for permission to use either Freedom Park or Wot Botum during specific dates of the campaign period, which takes place between May 2 and 16, including its opening and closure. But, once again, the response was far from positive.

“With Democracy Square [Freedom Park], it is certain that we cannot give permission,” Phnom Penh Municipal deputy governor Khuong Sreng said yesterday.

A ban on public gatherings is in place in the park, where security forces used violence to remove opposition lawmaker-elect Mu Sochua and a peaceful crowd earlier this week. Sreng said that City Hall would still consider allowing the CNRP to use the park near Wot Botum. But, he said, the decision ultimately fell to the Ministry of Interior and the Provincial Election Commission (PEC).

Sreng did not elaborate on when a final ruling under instructions of the PEC and Interior Ministry might be made.

In yesterday’s letter, the CNRP said it expected between 3,000 and 5,000 people to join its campaigning at the sites as well as marches along Phnom Penh’s roads.

Morn Phalla, president of the CNRP’s executive committee in Phnom Penh, said yesterday that if the latest request is also denied, the party will look for other, unspecified locations.

Observers have labelled the upcoming council election as “undemocratic” as voting is only open to current commune council members.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Rainsy and Sokha ‘would already be dead’: PM

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday appeared to suggest he would have assassinated opposition leaders Sam Rainsy and Kem Sokha had he known they were promising to “organise a new government” in the aftermath of the disputed 2013 national elections. In a clip from his speech

  • Massive ceremony at Angkor Wat will show ‘Cambodia not in anarchy’: PM

    Government officials, thousands of monks and Prime Minister Hun Sen himself will hold a massive prayer ceremony at Angkor Wat in early December to highlight the Kingdom’s continuing “peace, independence and political stability”, a spectacle observers said was designed to disguise the deterioration of

  • PM tells workers CNRP is to blame for any sanctions

    In a speech to workers yesterday, Prime Minister Hun Sen pinned the blame for any damage inflicted on Cambodia’s garment industry by potential economic sanctions squarely on the opposition party. “You must remember clearly that if the purchase orders are reduced, it is all

  • Ex-RFA journos accuse outlet

    Two former Radio Free Asia journalists held a press conference yesterday claiming they are each owed $28,000 by the US-funded radio broadcaster, which shuttered its in-country operations in September amid a government crackdown on independent media. The journalists, Sok Ratha and Ouk Savborey, maintained they organised