Subscribe Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Comment: Phnom Penh Post

Comment: Phnom Penh Post

Comment: Phnom Penh Post

T

his issue marks the second anniversary of the Phnom Penh Post. As the oldest

existing independent newspaper in Cambodia, the Post celebrates its birthday,

regrettably, in an environment of increasing concern among the journalistic

community and the general public over whether or not a free press will continue

to flourish in the Kingdom.

In recent months several papers have been

shut down, editors have been arrested and journalists have complained about

intimidation.

Will a free press survive in Cambodia? Will the Phnom Penh

Post be able to celebrate its third birthday one year from now? Only time will

tell.

From my own perspective as publisher of the Post it goes without

saying that a free press must be a responsible press.

In this regard, I

dare say that our record to date when compared with other papers in the Kingdom

has been exemplary.

We have at all times taken great pains to provide an

accurate accounting of current events as they unfold in the country. To the

point, the Post has few if any apologies to make for its track record to date,

and I stand 100 percent behind the reporting of all Post

journalists.

However, the Post like all newspapers will from time to time

get the story wrong. But as I said 52 issues ago in the inaugural edition of the

Post, we stand ready to be corrected. More importantly, the Post has been and

will continue to remain open to comments, criticism and countervailing opinions.

For those readers who disagree with our news analysis, the paper welcomes

alternative viewpoints from any and all quarters - public, private, non-profit,

diplomatic, whatever.

When all is said and done, and in spite of what the

future might hold for the Post, I feel a definite sense of pride in what all of

us here at the paper have achieved to date.

Should, at some point down

the road, the Royal Government determine that the continuance of the Phnom Penh

Post is not in the best interest of the Kingdom of Cambodia, I will take comfort

in the fact that for at least two years the Post was warmly received by the bulk

of its readers.

Letters from our Cambodian readers have perhaps provided

the greatest source of encouragement. A doctor in Pursat, a student in

Battambang, an NGO worker in Kompong Cham were just a few of the Post's readers

who took the time to write in to thank us for our efforts.

The gist of

their message was that they were extremely grateful to have an independent

source of news on what was happening in Cambodia, something which had been

completely unavailable to them for more than two decades.

With this in

mind, the Phnom Penh Post will continue to provide to the best of its ability an

accurate and reliable source of "independent news and views".

In a

country that has experienced so much hardship and suffering, it is my firm

belief that the people of this very special Kingdom deserve nothing less.

- Michael Hayes, Publisher and Editor-in-Chief

 

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Thy Sovantha threatens new suit

    Social media celebrity and card-carrying CPP member Thy Sovantha yesterday said she will file a lawsuit against wildlife NGO head Suwanna Gauntlett alleging discrimination after the latter allegedly denied her access to an ecotourism program the group is launching today in Koh Kong province. The

  • Police raid Siem Reap party, arrest 10 foreigners over ‘pornographic’ images

    A group of 10 foreign tourists appeared in court today after being arrested for producing “pornographic” photos in Siem Reap town on Thursday, while dozens more were detained temporarily and let go after being lectured on their behaviour, according to authorities. A report posted to the

  • Hun Sen’s in-law removed from RCAF after cockfighting rings raided

    Thai Phany, the nephew-in-law of Prime Minister Hun Sen who is accused of running two large cockfighting rings, has been removed as a general in the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces. Phany, formerly a one-star brigadier general, was removed by royal decree on December 19, according to

  • Government approves plan to relocate Phnom Penh’s airport

    The government has signed off on a proposal to build a new airport to serve Phnom Penh and has earmarked land in Kandal province for the $1.5 billion project. A new international airport to replace the existing Phnom Penh International Airport will be constructed on partially