Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Condo collapse: Families to receive ashes of workers

Condo collapse: Families to receive ashes of workers

The bodies of all three Cambodians killed in the collapse of a condominium under construction in the north of Bangkok have been recovered.

The search and rescue mission ended on Friday when the 14th and final body was retrieved, five days after the collapse. The accident also injured 25 workers, five of whom – including Cambodian Chhim Chan, 60 – remain in hospital.

“[The victims’] families decided to cremate them there and then bring the ashes back to Cambodia,” said Koy Kuong, Foreign Ministry spokesman.

The victims’ families received 6,500 baht ($200) each in compensation from the Thai government, but were given no assistance to repatriate the ashes. Thai workers reportedly received more than four times that and more for funeral expenses, plus funds from the construction firm.

Yat Meng, whose 20-year-old brother died in the collapse, said that now “the whole family will rely on me”.

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Phnom Penh eats: Homegrown veggies at Bayon Beoung Snor

​Nestled along National Road 1, Bayon Beoung Snor is a farm-cum-restaurant. The team grows their own vegetables, which they then use to whip up traditional Khmer food.

Bill Clough reflects on The Phnom Penh Post's 25 year history

The Post's publisher Bill Clough, under whose leadership the publication went from a fortnightly to a daily one, discusses his investment in Cambodia, his vision for the paper in an increasingly digital age,

People search for their names on the voter lists at a polling station in Kampong Cham’s Veal Vong commune earlier this month.

Four years ago, when the opposition snatched Kampong Cham away from the ruling party in 2013 national elections, it hinted at a deeper shift taking

Comfrel Executive Director Koul Panha speaks to the press at a meeting yesterday in Phnom Penh.

As the National Election Committee launched into the recount proc