Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Court balks at Borei Keila request

Court balks at Borei Keila request

Court balks at Borei Keila request

120124_05

Borei Keila residents’ attempts to have seven villagers freed from prison hit a hurdle yesterday when a Phnom Penh Municipal Court clerk told them that their written request could not be accepted because it wasn’t formal enough, they said.

Hong Menea/Phnom Penh Post
Former Borei Keila residents sit outside Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday.

Pich Limkhoun, a representative of 37 Borei Keila residents who gathered in front of city hall to lodge the request, said they were shocked to have their thumbprinted letter handed back because it was not formally addressed to the court.

“The court clerk, whose name I don’t know, told us that he could not accept our request because it did not comply with court procedure,” he said.

The letter, obtained by the Post, asks the government and the municipal court to intervene to release seven villagers detained in Prey Sar prison since violent clashes in Borei Keila on January 3 and to make development firm Phan Imex build the final two buildings it agreed in 2003 to construct.

The letter also asks Phan Imex to compensate villagers whose houses were destroyed on January 3 and 4 and protesters who were detained in Prey Speu social affairs centre from January 11 to 18.
The court clerk could not be reached for comment.

Eight villagers were charged with using violence against public officials on January 3 and seven remain in Prey Sar prison.

Their defence lawyer, Chin Lyda, said the municipal court had released one of his clients, Mom Vuthdy, on January 17.

Mom Vuthdy’s husband Brak Sophal told the Post that Phan Imex owner Suy Sophan and the authority had since given them a flat.

“We are happy to live in a flat in Borei Keila,” he said.

About 50 people from families who were evicted and resettled in Kandal province have returned to Borei Keila, despite having no houses to live in.

One of them, Hang Moeuth, 29, said he and others had been unable to find work close to their relocation site and returned to Phnom Penh because they were desperate for money.

“I came to Phnom Penh to earn money for food, because we are poor,” he said.

“We will die of starvation if we cannot find a job in Phnom Penh.”

The plots that Phan Imex had given them in Kandal province were 4.75 metres by 12 metres, which were smaller than they were promised, he added.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Breaking: PM says prominent human rights NGO ‘must close’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed the Interior Ministry to investigate the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) and potentially close it “because they follow foreigners”, appearing to link the rights group to the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party's purported “revolution”. The CNRP - the

  • Rainsy and Sokha ‘would already be dead’: PM

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday appeared to suggest he would have assassinated opposition leaders Sam Rainsy and Kem Sokha had he known they were promising to “organise a new government” in the aftermath of the disputed 2013 national elections. In a clip from his speech

  • Massive ceremony at Angkor Wat will show ‘Cambodia not in anarchy’: PM

    Government officials, thousands of monks and Prime Minister Hun Sen himself will hold a massive prayer ceremony at Angkor Wat in early December to highlight the Kingdom’s continuing “peace, independence and political stability”, a spectacle observers said was designed to disguise the deterioration of

  • PM tells workers CNRP is to blame for any sanctions

    In a speech to workers yesterday, Prime Minister Hun Sen pinned the blame for any damage inflicted on Cambodia’s garment industry by potential economic sanctions squarely on the opposition party. “You must remember clearly that if the purchase orders are reduced, it is all